Anyone here care to help me with Excel formula?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Imola Ghost, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I need a particular cell to show a percentage of another cell. What I need is to be able to type in [whatever percentage I need] and have the cell show, just the amount in currency.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this so that you can understand but I could send you the file that I'm working on and I'm sure you understand then. I'm new to using Excel and need some assistance.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'll try and draw out and example here:

I type:

I need the result [in that same cell to show only the answer in currency]. I would need it like this as the result.

$2000.00

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

1)
    you have $2000 on "A1" cell which is your real data
    2)
    you type 50% to "B1" cell which is what you modify
    3)
    you have a "=A1*B1" formula on "C1" cell which shows the result

Is this what you wanted? In case you don't want that "B1" cell to remain visible, you need to type that formula into that cell directly, meaning "=A1*[insert_your_percentage_here]", but then you must not insert your percentage to the cell directly but instead modify the formula (which would be something like "=A1*50%".

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That seems to be what I'm looking for but I'd like to keep away from having to actually type the "%" symbol, is this possible?

I'd just like to type: 50 and in that same cell would pop up with the correct percentage.

4. osprey76 macrumors 6502

You need to format the cell where you want to enter your percentage as a percentage. Then, Excel will label the cell properly (50%) and use quantity properly (2000*0.5=1000 rather than 2000*50=100000.)

If you want to keep the percentage column out of view you could either line up your columns, enter the desired percentages and then hide the percentage column before printing. Alternatively, you could place the starting number and resultant number columns adjacent to each other and place the percentage column elsewhere and then choose your print area to exclude the column with percentages in it.

There isn't a way to do what you're describing where you enter a number in a cell and have a result in the same cell unless you get into Visual Basic, which is unavailable if you're doing this on a Mac with a current version of Office.

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

An alternative formula would be:

=A1*B1/100

You'd enter 4000 in A1

50 in B1

and the result (in C1?) would be 2000.

Think about what you want to do, and we can probably come up with a solution. If the idea is to hide data during an invoice (you don't want a customer to know s/he's getting a 50 percent discount, let's say), you can always save your raw data in one sheet, then transfer the necessary values in another. This way you keep all your business info together (you might need to know discounts when tax time rolls around), and you reveal only what you want to reveal to the customer.

mt

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

That did it! THANKS.

Now I just need to make the form a little more attractive.