Anyone here ever been to Antarctica?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GimmeSlack12, Nov 14, 2010.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I was just looking over my Places in iPhoto and thought I have a decent coverage of the globe, although some continents haven't been touched yet.

Got me to thinking if I one day was able to put a red-pin waaaay down on the bottom of the world. Anyone ever been to the icy continent?

2. geekgirl macrumors regular

No, but I was part of a project that worked with a teacher who got to go. She sent (near) daily updates, photos.

If you truly want to do this, there are ways. It's not a tourist-thing at all. You will work a job there, and have to be prepared to spend at least the whole summer at the location. I think her flight from New Zealand to Antarctica was delayed for weeks, due to the weather (it seemed like forever and a day). It wasn't something that you could hop on a plane, send a week there, and go home. Things may have changed, but the weather is the overriding force on everything that goes on.

As I mentioned, she was a teacher, but her job ended up being in transportation. This was about 11 years ago, so things could have changed. Overall, she had fun, but it required a significant time investment to go. I think she even ended up doing it more than once, and her husband did a year-round trip at some point, too.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've heard about these programs. Apparently, there is stiff competition for non-scientist positions at these places--even for jobs like garbage collectors or general laborers.

I think it might be fun for about a week. After you've seen the sights I don't understand why someone would want to spend months at a time trapped in an artic base with the same people. I can't imagine the boredom.

I had a friend who did this once, and he told me the isolation does some crazy things to people. Apparently, people at his base got real "friendly" with each other--and it really didn't matter who the other person was. . .

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I have a strong feeling I was an Emperor penguin in my last life, but my dog doubts me. He was a therapist in his past life. Go figure.

6. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

I got drunk with a friend and we called antarctica on the phone once. Someone named Jerry at Tom's Tool Shed answered, fairly surprised to be getting drunk dialed from america.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

haha, i actually found a penguin while I was snooping around. :)

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I do not :p

9. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I'd love to go on an Antarctica cruise ship some day. I hope there will still be some ice left before I get there.

10. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Antartica is where Atlantis was thousands of years ago when it was located 2000 miles north of where it sits now ... the crust of the earth shifted and put Antartica at the south pole.

There are maps from the early 1500s that show Antartica without ice. :cool:

a Book called "Footprints of the Gods" that explain the earth crust shifting and also the connection to the Pyramids in South America and Egypyt.

Attached Files:

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Heh, by the time I get to go all the ice will sure be melted (did that even make sense? I hope it did...).

I like the way you choose places to travel to, GimmeSlack12 ;)

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I've been to Fargo in January. That's pretty friggin' close.

13. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Of course there were, the aliens gave them to us.... duh.