Anyone here go for a maxed out rMBP 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 11fajado, Jun 7, 2015.

1. 11fajado macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm in the market now for a new rMBP.

Figured I'd upgrade from my 2011 15" MBP since it's on its last legs.

I'm deciding between the top end 15" rMBP or the maxed out 13" rMBP (3.1 Ghz dual-core i7 + 16GB RAM).

Anyone here opt for the maxed out 13" rMBP i7 instead of the top end 15" rMBP?

I'll be using Photoshop CC + Lightroom 6 + countless heavy PDFs for research (varies from 100mb ~ 200mb in size).

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Needless to say, even the baseline 15" rMBP will be twice as fast as the top-end 13" rMBP because of the quad core processor.

For your needs, the baseline 15" rMBP would do you fine, but if you have the cash, you could probably splurge on the stock high-end 15" with the M370X.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For even the base model Macbook, those PDFs wouldn't really be considered heavy. I use a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" 2.9 Ghz i5, 16GB of RAM and 512GB SSD for similar to what you describe, and it has no problems handling it. I opted for the 13" because the better portability
    was a consideration (I've owned a 15" MBP before this and it's amazing the difference 2" can make).

You'll be fine regardless of what model MBPr you buy. Even the base model 13" can handle your needs.

Not all of the time. Obviously multithreading processes the 15" will handle more efficiently, but it's inaccurate to say it will be twice as fast, all of the time. Even photoshop doesn't always multithread as efficiently as it could, which is a shame.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you do raise a good point but not only does the 15" have quad core processors, but a better GPU, so there's another factor in it being faster then the 13" MBP.

Yeah some things will feel the same but I think overall the 15" will be faster.

5. rowdt1 macrumors regular

From a pure visual point of view I'd say you'd get more screen real estate with the 15" which you might find pleasant since you'll be using Photoshop and Lightroom much.

As it's been previously stated performance will be best with the 15"'s quad core processor.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

The maxed out 13" rMBP is the biggest ripoff in computer history.
    You'd be crazy to spend that kind of money for one when you can have the 15" with dGPU for not much more.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went with the 3.1GHz i7/16GB/512GB 13" rMBP. When I bought it at the Apple Store, I wanted a computer that day, and I couldn't get 16GB of memory without the CPU upgrade.

I can tell you right now that it's a great computer, but the extra $200 for the CPU upgrade is a waste of money. You'll never notice the difference, and if you do, you'd be better off with the 15" model.

8. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502

ZombiePhysicist

I have both. If you have serious work (and photoshop is just that), you're nuts to get the 13". I do love the 13" form factor way more. It just feels way smaller lighter. But you'll really regret it once you sit down to do your work.

Good luck!

9. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I personally like to have a 12 core Xeon and GTX Titan Z to read PDFs! The text looks so much richer! hehe

10. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Gosh the size thing is so subjective. I have friends & co-workers that cannot stand the larger footprint of the 15-inch. Meanwhile I wish the 17-inch size was still around. I don't think that Photoshop or Lightroom will have any issues running on the 13-inch MacBook Pro though.

11. xiwong macrumors member

Personally I really like the layout of the 15, with its well-sized palmrests and centered keyboard. However, I think its important to note that if you go for the 13, speed-wise the only improvements will be the PCIe SSD (which may not be noticeable compared to a SATA SSD if you have one already) and wireless AC if you have it. The CPU will still be significantly slower and the GPU will also be slower (depending which is on your 2011).

I would rather get a 15 because you get something better in essentially every aspect for not a large price difference.

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

You don't need any upgrades to read 'heavy pdf files' and the 13" base model runs Lightroom and Photoshop just fine. If you believe you need more cpu and ram, get the 15" and be done with it.