Anyone here got a Ricoh wifi printer? (need help with setup)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jas5279, Nov 2, 2017.

1. jas5279 macrumors member

Still learning how stuff is done on MBP. Installing it on my Windows was pretty easy but I can't seem to figure out how to setup the printer with my MBP. If anyone's got a Ricoh wifi printer (I have SP 212SUw), you may be able to help me out. On the Windows, I simply installed the drivers and connected to the same wifi network as the printer and it worked fine. But no drivers for OSX so I'm not being able to do it. Can't find anything useful on Google either. Any help would be appreciated.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

See if this YouTube video helps.

I suggest giving your printer a fixed local IP address via your router's DHCP reservations before setting up the printer on the Mac. If you don't...and the printer's IP changes at some point...the Mac won't be able to find it.

3. hobowankenobi, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

A quick look turns up no Mac drivers. Although it is getting to be less common...some lower end laser/network printers do not support postscript printing, and don't have Mac drivers. They only support PCL printing...on Windows. Seems like the copier companies are worst at supporting Macs: Ricoh, Kyocera, Konica-Minolta...on their low-end gear.

Can't print to them from a Mac or other devices that don''t use PCL.

I don't see anything for the printer over at Gimp Print/Gutenprint in their supported models list either.

Not aware of any fix, other than it is possible for a Win box to share a printer, and your Mac can print to it via sharing. A wonky workaround at best. A dedicated print server would be better. But if you don't need a print server...a printer that supports Macs would be easier. Info and possible ideas if you are up for the challenge of a server or sharing.

4. jas5279 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for this. I came across that video earlier but didn't follow the instructions because my printer's model is different. But this time I thought why not try and it works now.

Hey. Thanks for going through the trouble. I managed to get this done using the instructions in the video posted above.

5. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it.

I learned something new too. PCL support used to be more limited, and (at least in older OSes) I don't think there was a generic PCL driver.

6. jas5279 thread starter macrumors member

The manual of the printer did say that it is compatible with OSX. But there were no instructions on how to hook it up with the Apple machine. All the instructions were for Windows. The printer that guy had in the video - that wasn't compatible with OSX as he says in the video - yet he was able to connect it.

7. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502a

Strange...that there appear to be no drivers available for the Ricoh if they claim MacOS support/compatibility.

We have a few Ricoh C831CN printers and they have a simple driver/configuration via an installer. I wonder why this model doesn't seem to have an installer? Most companies that broadcast MacOS compatibility supply drivers and install instructions.

The fact that—in the video—they used the generic PCL driver and had to manually map the path via the advanced panel is a great workaround...for unsupported printers. Supported printers never use that type of configuration. Using generic drivers will typically limit specialized or model specific features and options, but still allow basic printing.

But hey, yer printing. That's all that matters.