Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heiesuke

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2002
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by rugby
I just ordered my dual 867 last week and am eagerly awaiting it. I bto'ed it with a Superdrive and got rid of the modem. I threw in the 17" LCD so I can give my wife my G4/400 and 19" monitor complete.

I too have a Dual 867 that i upgraded from a G4 400mhz. The way i see it, it's the best bang for the buck, and when the new G5s come out in the next 2 years this 1 will have paid for it'self.

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
My district I work in does a computer buy every 2 years from Apple. So, in 2 years I'll get another computer. Mine won't pay for itself, but these video projects I have to do will go a lot faster. Too bad they're just for family.

Originally posted by heiesuke

I too have a Dual 867 that i upgraded from a G4 400mhz. The way i see it, it's the best bang for the buck, and when the new G5s come out in the next 2 years this 1 will have paid for it'self.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I would get a dual 867 jsut for the 4 hd spaces, ata 100, ddr and dual 5.25 inch drive bays. I mean, i just got a 933 recently and the dual 867 just makes me drool because if its features and its price. If you can afford it, no matter what any magazine's benchmarks say.... get it if you want a solid upgrade from your current mac or PC (cept any new pmacs such as the quicksilver ones).

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
ya, 4 extra slots for storage is pretty sweet (concidering there was only 2 slots for storage on my peecee (well only 1 on my hp case but we got a diff case) and 4 slots for optical drives (only one slot on the hp case)...my pc compared to a ddr powermac is like comparing molasses to water :p

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Originally posted by SilvorX
ya, 4 extra slots for storage is pretty sweet (concidering there was only 2 slots for storage on my peecee (well only 1 on my hp case but we got a diff case) and 4 slots for optical drives (only one slot on the hp case)...my pc compared to a ddr powermac is like comparing molasses to water :p

Or tortises to ferraris... ;) :p

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
haha, i still think u should get a dual 867. i think it would do u right and it has a pretty appealing price... huh?

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by G5orbust
haha, i still think u should get a dual 867. i think it would do u right and it has a pretty appealing price... huh?
ya pretty appealing...but then again 2700 is still ALOT of money for a computer...but if it lasts me 5 years..it will be worth it ;)..as long as it isnt one of those slow as hell computers that are powermac g3s (the all one one kind that are basically a monitor and cd rom/floppy built into em (the 150/something series or whatever with 64 mb of ram n it took years for things to load...but then again it was on os 8.1))

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002

ya pretty appealing...but then again 2700 is still ALOT of money for a computer...but if it lasts me 5 years..it will be worth it ;)..as long as it isnt one of those slow as hell computers that are powermac g3s (the all one one kind that are basically a monitor and cd rom/floppy built into em (the 150/something series or whatever with 64 mb of ram n it took years for things to load...but then again it was on os 8.1))

My old english teacher has one of those. Hes got it pretty souped up too. g4 addon card, scsi burner, many hd's, etc.

And ur right... 2700 is a tad steep.. but it will definately last you.. and sicne ur going to college, you can work and pay for a new one with the money u get there if necessary.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by G5orbust

My old english teacher has one of those. Hes got it pretty souped up too. g4 addon card, scsi burner, many hd's, etc.

And ur right... 2700 is a tad steep.. but it will definately last you.. and sicne ur going to college, you can work and pay for a new one with the money u get there if necessary.
no no no, there were diff kinds of powermac g3's lol, its design was of a monitor (regular cheap 15" monitor) with a cd rom drive/mobo/etc built into it..theyre slowwwww but all the teachers used em up till this year (they got em replaced with classic imacs) but the computer room is still half full of the slow computers (with a few imacs and half power mac g3 "only for school" computers)...

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002

no no no, there were diff kinds of powermac g3's lol, its design was of a monitor (regular cheap 15" monitor) with a cd rom drive/mobo/etc built into it..theyre slowwwww but all the teachers used em up till this year (they got em replaced with classic imacs) but the computer room is still half full of the slow computers (with a few imacs and half power mac g3 "only for school" computers)...

o ic, yeah my skool has like 50 of those in this one mac lab of ours...

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Re: Re: I love it

Originally posted by Jimong5

I agree, i have had one for a while now (1 month anniversary the 24th!) and it is a steal for what you pay. I BTOed mine up to 3k (17", 9000, and Super) and so far its everything i want it to be and more.

Jimong,

I've got the dual 867 and the ATI 9000 too, with 768 RAM. But, have u noticed this (or is it just me): If you drag a window around in a circle - even with no programs open at all directly after cold startup - (a finder window, browser window, anything), it kind of jumps every second or so, as if it's struggling to keep up? The funny thing is, even though the window moves quicker and smoother than new iMac G4s and even the Dual 867s with std geforce card and factory RAM (I work with these systems for my work), the jumping on my system makes it seem slower and less, responsive. Yeah for games, it's top class, but for overall finder stuff, it jumps at almost everything - even the bouncing dock icons and stuff jump from time to time, as well as doing it quite a lot with the genie effect etc.

Any ideas? ;)

-Mark

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: I love it

Originally posted by MarkW19

Jimong,

I've got the dual 867 and the ATI 9000 too, with 768 RAM. But, have u noticed this (or is it just me): If you drag a window around in a circle - even with no programs open at all directly after cold startup - (a finder window, browser window, anything), it kind of jumps every second or so, as if it's struggling to keep up? The funny thing is, even though the window moves quicker and smoother than new iMac G4s and even the Dual 867s with std geforce card and factory RAM (I work with these systems for my work), the jumping on my system makes it seem slower and less, responsive. Yeah for games, it's top class, but for overall finder stuff, it jumps at almost everything - even the bouncing dock icons and stuff jump from time to time, as well as doing it quite a lot with the genie effect etc.

Any ideas? ;)

-Mark

Do you have any haxies installed? Have you started up on the 10.2 disc and repaired permissions?

It shouldn't be doing what you're saying it's doing. My old machine a B/W G3 400 doesn't jump it just moves slow having to load things before you use them.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: I love it

Originally posted by MacBandit

Do you have any haxies installed? Have you started up on the 10.2 disc and repaired permissions?

It shouldn't be doing what you're saying it's doing. My old machine a B/W G3 400 doesn't jump it just moves slow having to load things before you use them.

Just got TinkerTool installed, but it was doing it long before I installed it. Yeah, I've repaired permissions a few times, still not changed. The funny thing is, for about 2 seconds after cold startup, it doesn't do it and windows move perfectly, but after that, it starts doing it for the rest of the session. Maybe it's a background process it doesn't like? But that doesn't tell me why urs isn't doing it and mine is ;) It's not a major thing, just a bit annoying and obviously, I want it right :p

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Run top in the Terminal or run Process viewer. You could set Process viewer to load at startup and maybe you could use it to see what loads at the moment it start jumping.

My Dual Ghz/DDR doesn't jump but if it did I would sh*t myself because this thing is so incredibly fast.

I would try removing tinkertool just for the hell of it and see if things change.

Another thing I just thought of is what programs do you have that start on login?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.