Anyone here into Accounting (and have experience)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Sep 10, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I am a senior studying Accounting and next week I have eight interviews with various firms for an internship next semester...

I am going nuts I do not even know what I want. Do I want to try a Big 4? Or should I go with a smaller, regional firm? Do I want tax or audit?

Does anyone in this community have experience in accounting or have advice to offer on this front?

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

Being "into" accounting just sounds funny to my ear.

An Accountant is someone who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

A Statistician is someone who is good with numbers but lacks the personality to be an accountant.

:)

3. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm a year behind you in my accounting journey, but I figured I would offer my advice. I would probably try for a Big 4 firm. An internship at a Big 4 firm is a great way into a full time job at that company once you graduate and Big 4 firms look pretty good on your resume. Plus, the Big 4 firms will all pay for your CPA prep course, the exam, and many will help foot the bill of an MBA or MS in Accounting. Right now, I say go for a Big 4 internship, you can reap the benefits of a job there and then move to a smaller, more personal firm after you've had some high quality experience and gotten your CPA for pretty much no cost to you.