Anyone Here Know Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MadDoc, Sep 6, 2007.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

Hi,

I'm emigrating to Australia from England in a couple of weeks. I am stopping off in Hong Kong for 4 days. I was just wondering if anyone knows where I could buy Apple products from as i have just noticed that I could save myself a fortune buying an iPod Touch on my way to Australia rather than buying it here in the UK (where it is vastly more expensive than it is even in the US). Also, would it be possible to use/charge it in Australia and the UK?

Thanks,

MadDoc

2. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

yes you could, but the problem is you'll probably only could buy one of the shuffles because they're not all out yet some still takes some weeks

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, you will save alot.

I lived in HK for more than a decade and always got decent deals from NewVision - especially the store in the computer shopping centre Computer Zone (Hennessy Road, on HK island side) There is a guy called Frederick who usually was open to price discussion. :)

Also Designer Group (small shop) in Windsor House, Wanchai (Also HK island side).

Hope it helps.

4. MadDoc thread starter macrumors 6502

MadDoc

Thanks for your help Arkitect.

I now just need to wait until 18th September and I shall try to hunt this Frederick chap down...

BTW, will everything work with a simple travel adaptor? Are the iPods in English, etc?

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Same as in the UK… all adaptors etc work fine. It was a "colony" for a while after all. ;)

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know. Just try a Fortress store. They're huge. Citicall is also a big store. Even non-Apple resellers would sell iPods. ;)

However, I doubt you'd get it while in Hong Kong. It's too early for the iPod Touch, I think.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I bought my 3G 20gig iPod over at a HK Fortress a few years back. Saved me roughly AUD$150:D

Fortress is a pretty big chain, the only caveat is that the charger block will be wrong...but..if you have 240V Three prong one lying around (or by just getting one from someone), you can just swap it over, and you'll be set.

All models EXCEPT for the Touch should be available, I saw the new Nano and Classic last night (AMAZING, the nano that is). The touch should be available from 28th.

Btw, you would save only about $50 max if you bought it in HK with the current AUD-HK conversion.

8. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

I'd be weary of quality issues from products from HK. They don't conform to the regulations we have here in England...etc. BTW your photoshop tutorials are great.

9. MadDoc thread starter macrumors 6502

MadDoc

I didn't think about the fact that it might not be in stores :-(

I think I'll have a look when I get there - I may get lucky though. If the price difference really isn't that great between HK and Oz (they are both much less than the UK) I will just have to wait until I get to Adelaide.

@rossoUK: Thanks. Much appreciated.

MadDoc

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

:confused::confused: That makes NO sense. ;)

These are exactly the same products Apple ships all over the globe. Just cheaper…