Anyone here not like the MBP design compared to the old penryn one?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bankaimadness, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

IS it me, or does the above look much more professional than the one's out right now?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's largely a matter of getting used to change. I liked the older design, but since it's not available in new models, I bought what was available. Now that I'm used to it, I like it. YMMV

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Can't say that it does

I had 17" MBP back in the day and loved it
    But I love the design of my 15" rMBP and 13" MBA now even more

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

I don't understand how that looks more attractive than the current models.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

More professional in what way?
    The older ones have a keyboard, trackpad, display - with a camera in the top center.
    The newer ones, are, other than a different trim, have pretty much those same devices. The newer touchpad has many more capabilities, however.
    The newer models are also much faster, with significantly longer battery life, increased screen resolution, etc, etc.

Anything in particular that you can point out that makes you feel less "professional" - whatever that is…?

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Probably the black keys...

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

But - the black keys show less "finger-smut" than the aluminum keys. :D

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That was one thing I didn't like in the new design, but it's not a big deal. I'm less happy with the glossy display, compared to my old anti-glare screen, but I've adapted to that, out of necessity.

9. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

In terms of a design standpoint, I feel like they could have reused the unibody from the penryn and add in all the features of the newer version of the MBP.

I like how the keys are close together as opposed to being spread out. It also look like the 15 inch penryn version is more compact and smaller than the 15 inch newer MBP. (At least it look that way to me)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very slight differences, except thickness and weight:

Early 2008 Penryn: 1.00 x 14.10 x 9.60 5.40 lbs (2.45 kg)
    Retina Mid-2014: 0.71 x 14.13 x 9.73 4.46 lbs (2.02 kg)

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The key caps are different, being an extended "edge" on the older aluminum tops, with the newer black keys having a square edge, leaving more space open between each key, so the newer black keys may appear appear smaller. However, I think the actual "touch-the-key" surface is no different, and the total keyboard area is likely very close to exactly the same.

Penryn processors were used on both the older non-unibody version, and the unibody case, too.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The Penryn models weren't unibody. Swapping out the HDD or ODD was a pain in the ass because you had to remove the top case.

The physical dimensions of the keyboard are nearly the same, the "chicklet" keys just have small spaces between them instead of a beveled edge.

13. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

I only ever held the Penryn models, but I just like the aesthetics of it more. I didn't get too much time handling one so I don't know what's inside.

Though, I am sure Apple can improve it to be more accessible. Well now that I remember it, the penryn version does have a removable battery which makes it more convenient than the Unibody version.

I guess I am not too fond of the unibody design.

14. norrismantooth macrumors regular

I'm on a late 2011 (2012) 17" MBP unibody now, and I have never once wished I could remove the battery in the old manner.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I disliked how creaky the old models would get after a year or two of use. The unibody models hold up better in my experience.

I'll take 7-9 hours of battery life over a removable 5 hour battery any day.

16. Bankaimadness thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting.

I really have no qualms about the new MBP design, but I think they could have improved the keyboard aesthetic a little.

It looks really plain.

Looks like I am the only one. :D

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

old MBP keyboard is the best than new rMBP in my opinion. I am afraid the black keyboard might be "worn out" in few years? :apple:

18. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The old design is a pain in the butt to take apart! However, hope you never need to replace your keyboard if you have a newer one ;)

19. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I like the old design, but I much prefer the unibody and Retina styles.

I love the contrast between silver and black, the lack of visible screws, the massive glass trackpad with integrated button and the seamless black border around the display.

The old version looks old (classic, if you prefer). The 2008 unibody still looks state of the art and the Retina versions look straight from the future! That's one thing that I love about the unibody's simplicity, how timeless it looks.