Anyone here of DigitalRev?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maflynn, Mar 26, 2012.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not the great youtube reviews but they seemed to have started up a social network called digitalrev.

I'm not sure what to make of it, I enjoy watching Kai review various cameras. Helpful, funny but insightful.

Anyone else come across that website? Opinions, thoughts on this?

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My first encounter with this one. My take is that it's a gear seller using the social media concept to help drive sales. Others like B&H use social media too, but they tap into existing outlets like Google+ and Facebook. Overall, I think social media is being overused by commercial outlets. Every business has a Facebook page. I like my photo sharing in a more pure form like Flickr, 500px or SmugMug.

Dale

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Interesting. I did not even think that its a vehicle to sell stuff

4. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I will continue to watch select reviews on YouTube by DigitalRev but, I too, think that the website is just a storefront. I agree about Designer Dale about social media being overused and poorly understood by most advertisers.

- said the guy who just deactivated his Face Book account two days ago.

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

- as he agreed with the guy who has never had one...:)

Dale

6. gaz81 macrumors member

gaz81

I use it, nice bunch of people on there.

You don't have to buy anything... that's up to you. I also enjoy the reviews etc.

Besides, how many websites these days for this sort of thing don't push advertising in your face?

http://www.digitalrev.com/gpsutton

7. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I love watching Kai and crew's videos, but I'm social networked out... I've got Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and I don't need yet another network to keep track of...

8. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Digitalrev's pretty legit, at least as far as entertainment value goes.

I would not consider their video reviews to be technical, objective, or rigorous, but they are well made and entertaining to watch.

I've been aware of digitalrev's videos for a while now (at least a year) and I didn't even know they had a store until just now, so I would have to argue that they do a very respectable/clean job of making video content that is entertaining and can stand on its own, not to just drive viewers to their web store.

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I've bought from them in the past. They sell on Ebay as well as there own website. At the time the prices were quite competitive - now they are comparable with UK prices (after import duty/taxes have been added - which they do on website).

I only purchased a flash and speedlight transmitter from them, so nothing really expensive.

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I like their video reviews - but I'm not joining a social website that's part of a shop's storefront.

11. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

You're not on facebook then? :p

12. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I probably log in once a month if someone messages me there, but otherwise avoid it as much as I can. Facebook sucks.