Anyone here plan on keeping their 5s around 3-4 years or even longer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I personally have this inclination to keep my 5s as long as possible and get maximum value out of it (not to mention the fact that I dislike the bigger iPhone 6's).

I figure over time if the battery isn't as good as it was at the beginning I could simply order a new battery replacement.

Anyone out there that feel the same way and plan on keeping their 5s until the wheels fall off a many years from now?

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Nope! I will upgrade every two years (even though I can every year with AT&T Next).

3. taedouni macrumors 65816

After 3-4 years it will feel slow like the iPhone 4 did when iOS 7 was released.

4. scapegoat81 macrumors 6502a

scapegoat81

Yea kind of. Giving the wife my 5s while I enjoy the 6. Her 16gb 4s is HURTING on iOS 7 right now. It won't get much better after this weeks update

5. Melodeath macrumors 6502a

It depends how I feel about the size of the 6 when it arrives on Friday. If it feels too big, I will return and keep the 5s for awhile. However, sometimes my 5s battery seems to drain extra quickly, so hopefully there's not an issue with it. Could be my imagination/usage

6. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Every two-years seems much too wasteful/consuming to me. Dunno if I could do it :(
    You know you don't have to update right? You could even ... :eek: ... keep it on its original firmware and running as smooth as the day you bought it.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I've been on my iPhone 5 since launch day, September 21, 2012. I'm now out of contract and still using it with no plans to get the 6 or 6 Plus.

Right now, my iPhone 5 is brand new, considering AC+ just replaced it in the last month of coverage.

I like my 5 (don't like the looks of the new phones and no black). I'll keep using it.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Keeping my 5S would get me killed by a family member who is texting me on an hourly basis to remind me I promissed him my old phone!

He is a Ranger and have no doubt he is telling the truth!

----------

Wasteful consuming? :eek:

Good Grief!:p

9. GRANTCKING macrumors regular

ive only ever had 2 models of iphone, the 3G and my current 5c, can see me keeping this for a few years yet, would prob still be on the 3G if it hadnt of broken tbh, my battery life on the 5c is still brilliant and its plenty fast enough for me using the apps and internet :)

10. Hal~9000, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

It is though if you think about it.

Imagine if people bought laptops, TVs, and cars every 1-2 years because they wanted that new toy feeling? Ludicrous and wasteful consuming.

11. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Wasteful? How do you figure?

I upgrade every year, and I make money. Last year I got a 5C for $100, just sold it for $200. This year I bought a 6+ for $400 (which I do plan to keep for 2 years), and if I decided to sell it next year I bet I would get $450-$550 for it. Upgrading as early and often as possible is the best way to get your money back and get a new device.

12. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Gotta keep the economy going! ;) I hand my phones down to other family members. So, technically, it's not wasteful.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Three years is reasonable for these well-built devices. I'm upgrading my iP4s to an iP6 and expect three years out of it

Four years is a push. Greater chance of missing out on some must-have feature or OS update. Not so marketable, either.

----------

It's a good point, but as long as the old devices are being handed-down or sold to new owners (who maybe can't afford brand-new) I guess the original purchaser is providing some sort of "community service"?

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My dad is still using my old Black & Slate iPhone 5 running iOS 6 (in an Otterbox Defender case). Battery is still very good and performance is the same as the day we bought it. Methinks I should get a couple more OtterBox cases for $5 at the local AT&T store. He'll be using that phone until it breaks. I know my original iPhone still works fine to this day. It's slow and missing a lot of features but it can still handle the basics (phone, SMS, email, web) just fine.

15. Gincoma macrumors 6502

Im one of those that plans on keeping it until it falls apart. I can just do apple pay with the apple watch. Plus the design of the 5 is more appealing to me. If the 6 had the sharp edges like the 5 i may have boughten the 6. Im not a huge fan of rounded edges, looks like a step back IMO

16. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I was the person who got a new iPhone every year. That was until 5 came out. I've had my 5 since launch day and it still works perfectly for me. I did order both 6 and 6+ to see if they fit my needs/wants better, but if I don't notice a big difference then I'll keep the 5 for another year