Anyone Here read Books on their iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by braddick, Aug 9, 2009.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

And if so, what has been your experience? Is there a particular app you recommend?

What have been your favorite book(s)?

I have yet to do any of this and am looking for your take on using the iPhone as a type of 'Kindle' device.
    Thanks!

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

[app]Ubunchu Manga[/app] :D

Naaa... just joking... I use Safari to read stuffs. :p

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. kjiphone macrumors member

Reading Books on iphone

I do read books on my iphone, I like the Kindle the most. I also have used Stanza and eReader.

5. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I'm very jealous, living in the UK every time i try to buy a book from an e-store in any apps i get the 'wrong geographical location' message , great :rolleyes: i'd love to be reading books on my iPhone.

6. fishepa macrumors regular

I use wattpad, and the books are free as well.

7. n1ck macrumors member

Use a UK Amazon account to buy a gift certificate from amazon.com - send it to a second e-mail address. Then register a new amazon.com account with the second e-mail address and a fake US address. Cash the certificate and you can then purchase US kindle books and also get samples sent to the Kindle app.

8. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I love reading the kindle on my iPhone. I can read my books anytime, anywhere I want.

9. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

10. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Stanza has been great so far.... going through the steps to get Kindle in Japan is not worth it yet.

11. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Kindle, Classics, Stanza, GoodReader are my favorites.

12. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Another Kindle user. It's a great app for books.

13. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

14. reycat macrumors newbie

That's what I did.

Then, with my jailbroken iPhone I get the files from the iPhone, un-DRM them (legal in Spain) and put them in my BeBook, so I have them both in the iPhone and the BeBook.

15. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Classics, Classics2Go, Kindle, Great Books, I use 1 of these daily. All great apps.

16. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

Another vote for Kindle. Stanza is nice, too, but it doesn't seem to have the access to the current titles/books like Kindle does.

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I use Kindle when I don't have my actual Kindle nearby.

18. Requiemm macrumors regular

I use Kindle for about half my reading and Stanza for the other half. I like the fact that I can use Stanza to read all my older books with the .lit extension.

19. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Not as often as I'd like, but I dabble in Classics now and again. :)

20. JAPrufrock macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've read a bit

Around 70,000 pages at this point. Started with eReader. As better options presented themselves, I went on to others. Tried Stanza (put in a lot of time converting materials I had, etc) and abandoned it as too slow. I have used the Kindle and B&N readers, and they're fine. Kindle's probably the best purchase site in my opinion -- but user content is not well supported unless you own a Kindle.

The option I use presently is GoodReader. It has a wide variety of formats available, but its real strength is PDF. I use it to carry all my user content, and anything I can get into PDF. It handles huge files with no problems, and one can move content onto the iPhone/iPod touch with ease via the USB sync cable or (piecemeal) by the Web.

After being able to format things however you want in PDF, all the other readers are cheap-feeling and inflexible by comparison. After being able to copy whole folder hierarchies to the iPod at once, the one-by-one model associated with all the other players I have used is painful.

There have been a coupe of times that eReader got itself into an inconsistent state, unusable, and I had to delete it. All of my books went away as well, and I had to get all of them (hundreds) back, one by one, in a very slow process. GoodReader -- 1 drag and drop, 5 minutes.

21. bluemaris49 macrumors newbie

Anyone Here read Books on their iPhone?

I use the Amazon Kindle app, because I have a Kindle. I love reading on my iphone. Better than the Kindle because of size. It cradles in my hand perfectly.

22. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

As far as books, I read a Bible App. As for anything else, I usually just read Technical Manuals but they are not readily available in any form. Harley only sells printed manuals..... as do a lot of other companies.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I love stanza and have used it to read probably a dozen books.

24. gkovler macrumors newbie

kindle and stanza

i use both. great when waiting for an appointment or whatever. kindle has better access to things. but recently i had a book in pdf form that i wanted to get onto my phone. i was able to do it easily with stanza....not kindle....so there's room for both.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm surprised you prefer the iPhone to the Kindle. The Kindle is far, far, far easier on the eyes for any significant amount of reading. The iPhone is nice for catching a few pages on the go, but if I'm spending more than 10 minutes reading I'd much rather have an e-ink screen to look at.