Anyone here remember Lode Runner?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lanray, Dec 5, 2007.

1. lanray macrumors regular

It must've been 25 years ago or so. My Dad just got an Apple IIe, and Lode Runner. Maybe it came with the machine (because I can't really believe my Dad bought a game). I was just thinking tonight how fun the game was, and how much we played it. I can't remember what level I got to, but we used to play for hours on end.

I just looked on google, and it looks like you can download the game for Leopard. Anyone done this already?

[​IMG]

2. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wow, I completely forgot about this game until you mentioned it... maybe that computer we had way back in the day was an apple? I'll have to look into that now... Such a great game.

3. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Woww thats an old version of it, I still love the one that comes bundled with os8 and 9. Very addicting game and play it every now and then in an old iMac. I actually searched for the game few months ago and ended up with nothing, where do you say is downloadable?
    -Victor

4. mr.light macrumors 6502

Wow! I used to spend hours on that with my Apple lle. I still have the original floppy of it somewhere I think. I never did get to the end of it... how many levels did it have anyway? :D

5. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Levels, download

From wiki:

"There are 150 levels in the game which become progressively more difficult, either in terms of problem-solving or reaction time."

And:

"Lode Runner is notable for being one of the first games to include a level editor, a feature that allowed players to create their own levels for the game."

I even remember trying to make our own levels. Actually, we used to try and modify the levels we couldn't pass so that we could. Sneaky....

As far as downloads go, I just googled the game and download. There seemed to be several sites. I haven't dl'd the game, so I don't want to put a site here. If anyone has any luck getting this original version to go on Leopard, please let us know. I'd be interested in putting it on my computer, too.

6. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

lode runner was released on the nintendo ds platform, sometime over the last few years.

unfortunately it was a japan release only, and not available for purchase here is australia, so i had to find a ROM of it.

its pretty good, but all the menu's are in japanese. takes a bit of working out whats going on.

http://au.gamespot.com/ds/action/loderunner/index.html

the other game that i used to love on the early macs was captain magneto, the one where your ship crashes on a weird island, and you have to rebuild your ship, fight a menturg i think, and give apples to the natives to train/befriend them.

lode runner, captain magneto, and some castle game where you threw rocks at bats using the mouse were awesome.

lee

7. mr.light macrumors 6502

I think I made it to level 110 at one point. I remember thinking, " It's never going to end!" I would love to play that game again. If only my lle had survived that lightning strike! :( That was a great little computer.

8. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Lode Runner II came with my Power Mac 6500, and it was a blast. My brother and I would have races to see who could finish levels the fastest.

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I remember playing Lode Runner when I was just a little kid. Did they have it for the Commodore 64? All of my first computer games were on the C64. Ah, the good old days...

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was playing Lode Runner and Power Pete on my Performa, but I guess it's been about 10 +/- years. :eek:

11. 6502usetabe macrumors newbie

I seem to remember it on C64. graphics were different. lode runner spawned so many other of the old games - frantic freddy, for one.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Lode Runner ranks up there as one of my all-time favorite games and a true classic. I logged many hours on my brother's Apple //e playing it, that's for sure!

While I'm being nostalgic, other classic games of the time were Autoduel and one of my absolute favorites, Wasteland. :cool:

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Does anyone remember Out of This World/Another World? Possible one of the best games ever! I remember playing this on my brother's LC III all the time trying to (unsuccessfully) beat it.

edit: can't forget lemmings and spectre.

14. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

2 great games! I too played these on a performa, but I don't believe it was 10 years ago!! Doesn't seem that long ago.

15. BigBlockPyro macrumors newbie

Forgoten apple game

I apologize for getting off topic. My brother and I were sitting around thinking about the games we used to play when we were kids. He challenged me to find out the name of an early apple game. The game had a car that would fall apart and you would have to drag the car parts back to the car exactly or they would return to the ground. There was also a part where mosquitos would hit the wind shield and the player would have to wipe them off or something, I can't remeber much detail. Does this game sound even remotely familar to anyone?

Thanks,

Ben.

16. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yep, I had it on my C64, although as someone else pointed out, the graphics looked different. I played the heck out of that game. I still liked M.U.L.E better, though.

17. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I seem to remember playing something very much like this game on the Odyssey II videogame system by Magnavox.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I barely remember playing this. I was far too young. However, I'm sure I didn't play it on an Apple.

19. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Spent many an idle hour playing Lode Runner in high school. Made a bunch of crazy maps with the editor, too. Wish I still had them... might actually still have the discs, but don't have the //e anymore.

It's hard for me to gauge which game I spent the most time on. Obviously the adventure/RPG games like Zork and the Ultima series sucked down a lot of my time. I polished off Ultima I - V between seventh grade and freshman year of college and I'd kill to have that kind of free time again for such frivolous but fun pursuits!

I think my favorite action game for the //e was Rescue Raiders, which was basically Choplifter kicked up about a dozen notches. It was always so satisfying to get one of your demolition vans up to the enemy base and kaboom!

And I thought I was the only person to ever own an Odyssey2. We had rotten luck with Atari 2600 systems -- two of them failed on us within a week of ownership, so the Odyssey got the most play by far in our household. There were some fun and fairly unique games, but no third party titles at all until Imagic very belatedly released ports of Demon Attack and the like.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had some Japanese Gameboy version of this but it was all confusing to me. The earliest games I made (back when I was 8 or so) was like this but with a more fluid platform engine. The player had to climb ladders and navigate mazes collecting coins which unlocked an exit.

And FWIW a friend of mine made a similar game called Zone Runner which went on to inspire N, or so I read in an interview.

21. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Best game ever. I loved the "crunch, crunch, crunch" when the mad-monks caught you.

The version I bought for my boys even allowed them to create their own levels, which they were all doing before they entered Kindergarten.

Fun fun fun.

P.S. I guess this is now my official 1000th post (not sure what happened to my intended one). Anyway, can't think of a better topic to put it on.

22. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Wow. Twitch.

Got you guys beat though :) - played this religiously on my ][+ with 64k RAM along with Wolfenstein, Stellar 7, Sneakers, Snak Attack, Beachhead, Choplifter, etc.

Ok, did I get anyone else twitching from the memories ;)

23. andrea77 macrumors newbie