Anyone here run Quickbooks online through parallels coherence mode with I.E. on win?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iansilv, Oct 21, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Hi-
    Quickbooks is stupid. They will not let you run quick books online on a mac, because they require internet explorer. Does anyone run it through parallels coherence mode on their mac?
    Trying to make this mac switch for Leopard...

2. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. dadayabe macrumors newbie

quickbooks online through parallels

I've been using quickbooks online through parallels for a long time already, and I would like to discuss some issues with other users. Please reply to this post to get in touch.
    Thank you

4. gfunkbabe macrumors newbie

Running smoothly

I am a recent mac convert and I have been using quickbooks online on PC
    I found a online company called northstaraccess.net and they host software like Internet Explorer.. nothing to install on your computer everything is web based and it runs smoothly
    It cost about $120 per year but it is well worth it, they also have other windows based software on demand...
    I hope this helps... I am very happy with it esp with the New Leopard- I have one space dedicated to my quickbooks
    Life is good

5. djdto macrumors newbie

Parallels and Quicbooks Online

I'm working on a MacBook Pro using the latest version Tiger OS and the latest version of Parallels.

I am basically only using Parallels for one thing: to access Quickbooks Online Edition (QBOE) via Internet Explorer. The fine folks at Quickbooks decided that if they were going to do a web-based service that they'd only make it available in IE!!!!

Well, when I first started using QBOE it seemed to work fine, if not slow at times. Currently it works fine for simple entries and transactions. However, when doing more complex transactions like synching with your bank, creating invoices, or changing employee information it just "hangs."

The transaction begins but never completes. After a few minutes I get a blank IE page and the transaction was never recorded in Quickbooks.

When I do the same transaction on a PC (the whole goal is to get rid of the PC) there are no problems at all.

1) Does anyone else experience this?

2) How do I fix this?

3) Parallels team: How are you going to fix this and play nice with QBOE?

Pointers, tips, and thoughts appreciated.

PS - Parallels is running just fine for me in every other aspect, memory, etc.

PPS - Everytime I talk to Quickbooks I tell them to get QBOE to work on Firefox or some other browser besides IE. I was at MacWorld and told everyone of their sales reps at the show booth to do it quickly. I can't believe they allowed themselves to be pigeon-holed into IE. They claim it has something to do with ActiveX. Whatever.

6. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

May I ask if any you have tried IEs4OSX? It does support ActiveX so it might be lighter than a full-blown Parallels install.

I know it doesn't address the issue at hand but I thought you might like to try an alternative.

7. djdto macrumors newbie

Tried It

Lixivial: I just tried it; thanks. Application needs a bit a work on the UI, but it did launch and work. However, Quickbooks Online didn't work because the ActiveX plug-in didn't work with it. Thank you though!

8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Yeah, the application is running inside Wine and that uses the X11 app so it's a bit ugly and obtuse. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work.

As a test, I was able to use the IE 6.0 install to launch Intuit's QuickBooks Online Demo, which prompted me to install the ActiveX control, but I don't know how valid of a test that truly is. I attached screenshots to see if that's even the app you're talking about. EDIT: Attached a better screenshot.

Oh well, 'twas worth a shot, I guess. Apologies for being off-topic. :)

Attached Files:

9. djdto macrumors newbie

Lixivial: No apologies needed. And it was on topic. This was very helpful and definitely worth the shot, but it didn't work. It'd be no problem if QBOE worked on another browser besides IE. If they are going to claim to be Web-based and access from anywhere, they need to support more than one browser. And they're supporting the worst one!