Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rweakins

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2007
i'm going in a week and i was wondering what the lighting and all was like

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hmm... me thinks he was hoping to get a post with someone with some personal experience there, not just a photo gallery. :eek:

This would be my guess as well since the lighting there is VERY picky and you can only get good pictures during a fraction of the day. At least thats what I heard never been so I can't say.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Hi, been to Upper Antelope Canyon twice, never made it down to Lower part. Was there last October. I'd google and call some of the photography tour leaders there to see what is best time to go, it changes depending on the season. Usually best time is still early morning between 8am-10am.

Must have tripod and cable release to get good shots. Better to not change lenses while in there as there is so much fine dust from the sand floating around that once you open your camera you're sure to flood it with dust.

Upper part is almost always flooded with tourists. Lower part is less busy as it is a bit harder to reach especially since you have to go down a ladder. I wouldn't carry a big camera backpack.

Have a great time.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Lenses

What camera body do you have? I was using a Canon 1DMarkII with a 1.3 crop factor. Actually a 24-105 is most useful. You'll probably find when you return home that shooting with ultrawides you lose some of the nice details in the rocks unless your crop the photo when you get home. The dynamic range is harder to capture when you have a really wide angle and you're trying to balance out the dark background rock patterns with a hot spot.

If it's your first time then you'll want the usual ray of light shot. Once you've spent some time there you'll find the changing light colours and the patterns of the rocks in less congested areas to be more fascinating.

I have some sample pics taken near the back of Upper Antelope Canyon.

http://www.aroundtheworldphotos.com/p715627720/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.