Anyone here soldered iBook G4 Airport connector?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Zotaccian, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Zotaccian, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

So, I have fully working iBook G4 14" 1.42GHz model but also 12" model suffering from Airport slot defect (and audio jack defect but that's another story). I like the 12" model better since it still has the same resolution as the bigger one, 9Mhz processor speed difference quite obviously means nothing.

I found an article where someone actually did repair the Airport socket or so it says:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Fixing-a-broken-iBook-G4-with-Airport-kernel-panic/#step1

I ordered very sharp soldering iron tip and a magnifying glass apparently originally intended for jewellery. So I think I'll try my best. Those connector legs are damn tiny so bridging connections is very easy.

Has anyone here repaired Airport slot succesfully? And how long it did last? Clamp fix does not count as fix, since it isn't. Also using an external USB stick is even less of a fix.

EDIT: And bonus, what do you think, can the iBook audio jack be replaced by using a jack from Soundblaster etc. soundcards? I currently don't have the iBook disassembled and I can't remember how it looked, the connector legs etc. but it would be great if a jack from SB would fit since I have couple of those.

2. Zotaccian thread starter macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Back to this problem again. I removed all the clamp fixes that the previous owner had made. I screwed the card in place normally and I have now discovered that the bluetooth seems to work fine but WLAN is nowhere to be found, it is not detected. Would this point to the actual card being faulty or is this common for the Airport connector failure? Both of those feature (WiFi and BT) are provided by the same card and now half of it works?

EDIT: Well, it seems to be normal with this defect :( :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2171410?start=0&tstart=0