Anyone here still has 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supernet33, Jun 15, 2012.

1. supernet33 macrumors regular

I feel like I have an old Macbook Pro 15" 2010.. I upgraded it to 8GB of Ram and a 128 Intel SSD and it seems to run pretty quick...

But I don't see anyone talk about old MBP anymore and it makes me feel like mine isn't good anymore.. So Anyone here still has 15" MBP?

I mean it is still a core i5.....

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I have 3 Macs. One of them is a 2009 13" MBP. I am using it right now. I've upgraded it to 8 GB of RAM and it still is a perfectly fine machine to sit on the side of my desk and look up things. I basically use it as a second monitor.

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

are you kidding? You must be really young.

WHO CARES what everyone else is talking about? Does it still work good for you? It didnt magically become slow just because some other people are talking about a new computer.

Just enjoy your computer. You wouldnt be doing anything different on a new one. If you did, you would know yourself that your comp isnt good enough for your needs and upgrade.

relax

4. Brett0712 macrumors member

I have a late 2008 15" Unibody MBP with the removable battery cover that I still use everyday. 2.4ghz C2D, 4gb ram, and the original 250gb hard drive that still runs perfectly fine. The battery has about 300 cycles on it and lasts about 1.5hrs but other than that, its great. I was holding off until this latest refresh, but I just bought a house and don't want to dish out $2k on a new machine so I might as well add some more ram , get a SSD and call it day until the next refresh.

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I am still running a "Classic" Early 2008 15" MBP pre unibody 2.4 Penryn and it still runs great, It`s now my secondary system being replaced by a Late 2011 15" MBP 2.4 i7. I will pass the 08 MBP to my daughter this year and probably pick up a new 15" "Retina" I fully expect the 08 machine to continue to perform for another 2-4 years without issue...

You will find people that are still running PowerBook`s and earlier, give Apple their due they do work at delivering the best hardware to market.

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Still running a late '08 unibody, running at 2.4 with 256 video, upped memory to 6 Gb a while back and upgraded to 500 Gb Samsung drive before ssd were reasonable. Still runs real well. My Reasoning for upgrading in a few months is lighter (student). More power (AutoCad isn't exactly officially supporting that model, but it works). And maybe a little bit of play (Starcraft 2 everything is on low but playing native res 1440x900. I can't stand the fuzzy units).

All the MacBook Pros are sweet, it's just the new shiny stuff is taking all the spotlight now. Main problem is that there are very few developers that really had a heads up to start putting out retina code, so in a few months lots will be out. Hopefully it'll be a smooth transition with little 'early adopter' problems.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

im still using my 2007 santa rose c2d runs great.

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Some people upgrade on here anywhere between 1-2 years...which is a bit excessive unless your job/lifestyle REALLY required it (I'm do stem cell research for a living, If I wanted to fool myself, I could convince myself and everyone else I need the new processor and screen). But for most people, like my self, a macbook is good for several years.

Don't worry about it, even if you have the money, there are a lot better things to spend it on. People will always be talking about the cool new product (sticking with apple since it is an apple forum) such as the new ipad or macbook...but the reality is the older models are perfectly capable and well. Most people don't need upgrade every year (I would say no one does....but that is an opinion)...but some people do because they want to. That doesn't make your device obsolete or bad.

9. mikepro macrumors 6502

I have the same year, with 8gb and a 256gb SSD (320GB in the OptiBay). LOL, I do get upgrade envy from all the posts here. But, honestly, with the SSD it runs so well I think I can keep it and be reasonably happy for a couple more years. In another 2 years the retina technology will probably be everywhere. Hopefully with higher capacity cheaper SSD options.

10. leenak macrumors 68020

In a few weeks, things will die down a bit as new mac owners get their systems and settle in. Just wait.

11. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I still have my 2009 Macbook Pro 15"

It still runs great, its just has a little bit of physical damage and the airport card doesnt work (Bought an adapter online for cheap). It runs a little hot too.

Beside that I still use it everyday like a charm.

12. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

Just received my late 2011 refurb 15" MBP! It's my very first mac so you can count me in :)

13. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Just because yours isn't the newest anymore doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. Of course there's not going to be much discussion about older MBPs since the new ones just came out...that's to be expected.

I have an early 2011 15", hubby has my old late 2008 15", and my mom has his old white MacBook. All of them are still perfectly functional for what we each need to use them for. That's what matters. Although, hubby is thinking about upgrading the 2008 with an SSD to speed it up a bit. But that's mostly because I have an SSD and he's jealous ;)

14. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

My 2011 Macbook pro was really awesome, it did everything quickly... then they released the new macbook pro.. and suddenly its all slow and bad, i can't even browse the web anymore, i really hate Apple for ruining my macbook pro.

not.

15. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

Two things.

1. You're not browsing hard enough. I see posts EVERYWHERE about how their 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 Macbooks are still being used, many of them about how satisfied they still are and won't be switching to the newest anytime soon.

2. For the love of God, do NOT switch to the latest Macbook. Yours is still 2010, it's in great working condition and it will remain that way for at least another 2-3 years. Getting the latest and greatest just for the sake of it and just to "fit in" is a waste of money.

16. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Mine is running just fine. I have no reason to change it out - unless it quits! Then I will probably try to get it fixed first... :apple:

17. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

One more reason not to get the new MacBook Pro: Wait for Apple and app developers to iron out the issues with the Retina display and possibly design first! I get Macs after the new design has been released for at least a year.

18. onmi macrumors newbie

I have the mid 2010 15" MacBook Pro with 2.4Ghz intel i5, 320GB 5400RPM hitachi hard drive, 4GB DDR3 1067Mhz ram and everything else. Pretty much the stock 2010 15" Macbook pro. I think this computer is still pretty freaken good and very very reliable. Beats any PC i've had, whether prebuilt or built myself.

I do plan on upgrading to 8GB DDR3 1067 Mhz and a 120GB SanDisk SSD.

19. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Same exact one I have!! Runs perfectly and It looks brand new! It has become part of me :eek: I recently upgraded to 8gb of ram.

I have 1141 cycles on the original battery. Only lasts about an hour, but I'm fine with that :)

20. Link2999 macrumors 6502

I still love my Mid 2010 15" MBP. It's in "like new" condition with no bumps and no scuffs. When I took it in for repairs I got "Wows!" from the geniuses after I told them how old it was, the genius I was working with even had to show it off to his buddy remarking on how amazing the condition was. After repairs I always check it for further cosmetic damage and sometimes have to send it back if I notice anything else wrong with it. This thing still runs like new. I actually prefer the NVIDIA card to the 2011 AMD card, and I don't know how long I could live without an optical drive if I got a 2012. I opted for the 1680x1050 screen on it as well and I feel it's perfect the way it is. The only thing that is out-dated now would probably be the 330M card (now updated to 650M), but it still runs Diablo 3 fine at high-medium settings as well as all of my steam-indie games.

21. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I pretty much have the same laptop as you OP, and I dont plan on getting a new one unless this one becomes inadequate/breaks.

22. Zwikker macrumors regular

Zwikker

How's this possible?

Oh well, didn't read the end of the post:)) you got me bro.

23. machomer macrumors regular

I have a 2007 15 MBP with 4 GB Ram and upgraded 500 GB HD.

The new rMBP looks enticing. I recall seeing a thread or post about finding how much your MBP is worth if resold. Anyone know how I can find the value of my current 2007 15 MBP? I babied my machine and its in great condition, 95% of the time was connected to external monitor and keyboard, mouse, so hardly "touched."

24. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Still got mine. Late 2011 15" MBP, 256 gb SSD, 16 gb RAM, runs great, looks like new, and it's paid for. Plan to keep it for a while.

25. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

OP, look at me….poor deaf person with very very very OLD mid-2007 15 inches MBP with 4GB ram and last week I replaced 120GB HDD with an Intel 320 series 160GB SDD. Do I need to upgrade to 2012 MBP right now? :rolleyes:

----------

by the way you will see there is not much people with mid 2007 MBP on this forum….am I left out with all new 2011 and 2012 MBP owners?