Anyone here still on a first generation macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WillMak, Feb 23, 2011.

1. WillMak macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about getting a new MBP soon since my macbook version 1's track pad is a little funky and it charges strangely sometimes. Despite this tho, I had the RAM upgraded to 2 Gigs and a 500 gig HD installed and the machine is still very capable for now.

If all I do is basic stuff like surfing the net, word, watching movies and etc will I even notice any differences? The urge to upgrade is very prevalent but I dunno if I should just wait until the summer time to pickup a free ipodtouch, especially if I'm not gonna notice any differences in performance for my everyday uses.

2. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

I've got a late 2006 white Macbook. :D

I've upgraded my ram because it only came with 512gb. But my HD is still only 40GB

3. WillMak thread starter macrumors 6502a

40 gigs! oh my! U thinking about upgrading anytime soon?

4. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

December 2006

I am using my late 2006 MB to run Windows 7 via bootcamp and it is still a very fast machine, and handles Dreamweaver, PS, etc very well. I upgraded the RAM and HD, Apple replaced the case and battery, so it is in perfect condition for an almost five year old old.

I really see no reason, based on your use, why you couldn't hold out for the back-to-school iPod sale. I am usually either too early, or too late, to take advantage of them:rolleyes:

5. shastapete macrumors newbie

My macbook 1,1 is 55 months old!

Hard drive replaced in 2008
    One of the Ram slots died in 2009
    Stopped staying in sleep mode in 2010

but it still keeps limping along

6. keithano macrumors member

High five!
    :D

I still use it for Photoshop CS5, and lightroom works on-site.. lol
    Gonna buy the new refresh 15" MBP thro :) Time to retire after 4 years

Attached Files:

7. csixty4 macrumors regular

Same here. It's been a workhorse, but it's just not keeping up. The 2GB RAM limit is becoming frustrating. Time to sell it for what I can and get something new.

8. Hoy its Johnny macrumors newbie

I'm still on my late 06 Black Macbook.
    Spec's
    2hgz C2D
    640Gb HD 5400Rpm
    2gb ram

I'm going to upgrade soon.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

I have a friend or two with first gen macbooks that are still alive and kickin'.

10. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah I am! Lol especially because my HD is going to fail soon. But other than that it still runs like a champ.

11. Brettla macrumors regular

I still use the Powerbook G4 listed in my signature everyday, I finally think it's time to upgrade.

12. padmasana macrumors member

padmasana

I know what you mean. I have the first revision of the core duo MBP.
    Totally missed the reign of the core 2 duo. Photo editing is a real chore with only 2gb of ram.
    I'm already tempted to upgrade. We will see what tomorrow actually brings.

13. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

14. SanibelMan macrumors member

The black MacBook I'm typing this on was a graduation present to myself in 2006. It's gone through at least three logic boards and it won't stay asleep now, but it's still humming along. I put a 250 GB hard drive in it and maxed it out with 2 GB of ram. It's a little slow with Flash and HD movies, but I'll probably keep using it until it finally dies for good.

15. Vurius macrumors newbie

I've got a mid-2006 15" MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo. I upgraded immediately to the 2GB RAM limit, but I still have the 100 gig 7200rpm hard drive (which is extremely space-constrained). I plan on getting a new top of the line 17" in the next few weeks and using it for another five years. My current MBP will be receiving a 1920x1200 pixel display and 500 gig 7200rpm disk drive upgrade, and it will then be passed on to my fiancee, who currently only has a netbook. It will probably last her another 2 or so years.