iPad Anyone Here Super Productive on Their iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Apr 10, 2014.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Googling anything when it comes to the ipad and productivity and I just get a bunch of lists of productive apps.

I'm here wondering if there are ipad power house users that do nothing but get **** done on their iOS devices and how you may best combat not only procrastination, but how you handle distractions as well.

I have a ton of apps, thing my first ipad screen holds only a couple of productive apps such as Lift, OmniOutliner and OmniFocus... While my second page has folders such as entertainment, shopping, arcade, utilities, etc.

Just wondering.

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a productive device for me, it allows me to use my time efficiently. This includes using office for spreadsheets, FileMaker Go for viewing databases, gotomypc for accessing my work computer on those occasions I'm paged but I'm not near my computer.

I also use it mindless stuff, like games, books and surfing.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well I use it to do research sometimes but otherwise it's just consumption.

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Super productive? Nah, not at all. I do what I can do on my tablet and enjoy it for what it is. That's about it.

6. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

You must be joking right? Don't believe the hype and the ads. The iPad can be productive in very specific usage scenarios, but for most typical computing stuff, it is inadequate.
    As a consumption device it's much better

7. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Yes. I need to consume a lot of information to be productive.

8. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have used mine to do assignments and write papers for school, I used Numbers to keep track of and create a budget for my wedding last year, and I have used it to log in to my work computer and update files.

9. Shanghaichica, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Well if making shopping lists could count as productivity then maybe lol

10. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

Well, I guess I doodled an app concept in Paper once. That counts, right?

11. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

12. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Strange question! What do you mean by productive? I use my iPad Air all the time for reading books - academic books. In that sense, it is a pure productivity device. I use it sometimes to surf the web - for research and for just looking up things. Is that being productive? By count, yes. In that sense, it is a productive device.

Actually, metaphysically speaking, by asking that question, you appear to be asking whether or not I can be non-productive at times! My answer to that is no - I am always productive and I think everyone is always productive all the time - though one may not perceive it as being so.

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Well, not as much as I would like to, but that's because it competes with my other devices which are much more appropriate for my school projects at the moment.

I don't have a textbook this semester, so I've only used it in the planning process of my project, like for drawing up storyboards.

And I found that actually taking the notes down, and planning out my workflow of working on it was better off being done on my iPod because the keyboard is easier to use on it.

At the end of the day, I use my MacBook Pro the most still though. My only problem with it is that 13 inches is too small and I should have gone with another 15 inch version. :eek: My next machine will most likely be a Mac Pro though.

14. Wbutchart macrumors regular

I just embrace the distraction I'm afraid......

Mi ipad is my only device, but I think even with a laptop I would be easily distracted.

15. mark34 macrumors 6502a

Very much so

I have found now that by moving to the iPad Mini retina I am using the iPad very productively. I take all my work meeting notes on the iPad (Notability; with and without stylus) and organize and manage all my projects with Omnifocus. They both sync across all my devices. I use it for interactive meetings, mostly GoToMeeting. I can access every file off of my company server (using FileBrowser) or Dropbox or Evernote when I am out of the office. I use Intralinks for access to electronic data room access. I also have an app to sign into my company VoIP phone system.

Of course I also use it very productively for email and consuming information. I usually just consume spreadsheets and presentations on it, but have found it not bad for creating presentations.

I absolutely no longer use any paper at all except when someone else gives it to me or I need to sign an agreement (even this is rarely not electronic).

I made a commitment to change my behavior and I'm so glad. For me the Mini form factor was a big part of it. I am far more likely to have it with me. Now please don't start selling only giant phones, Apple, I have an iPad!

Movies and games and social media and internet are obviously a huge part of its use as well.

16. Yodel macrumors newbie

17. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

Like others have said, it really depends on one's definition of productivity. One of my most productive uses is ebook reading. Reading is an important part of what I do, so yes, the iPad is a productivity in that respect. I also use Evernote a good amount to store a lot of articles, correspondence and other files that I need to frequently reference. But reading is far and away the most productive thing I do on my iPad.

18. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Not me.

My primary use for my iPad rmini is for reading books, for which purpose it is wonderful. I now have a small library of books I have with me everywhere I go, and I avoid having to haul around physical books as much as I can.

I also used it occasionally for taking notes or looking up records, often in spreadsheet form, when a laptop would be intrusive.

But for composing longer documents I use a laptop. I'm happy with that. I'm happy having a simple portable device for reading and taking notes and viewing maps, and a laptop for creating technical documents and creating databases and presentations. I think that's better than having a device that tries to do both, but is optimal for neither.

19. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I used to be productive when I was still in school with one, but the word "productive" was relative at that point. I was productive with what I could do on it, but Id always have to finish up my reports and projects on a computer. I think the iPad has potential for extreme productivity, but for my needs it falls a bit short, especially now that Im needing to create solid models in solidworks. But Im really hoping the rumored iPad Pro and a hybrid OS can truly change that for me.

20. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Not sure exactly what you're looking for here....

I use my iPad for almost everything - my use case includes:

-Office apps (I use iWork - pages, keynote, numbers for school projects and papers)
    -PocketCloud Pro (its a pretty basic VPN app attached to your gmail account - download the companion on your laptop or desktop and you can control it. Somewhat slow, but does the job for me. I use it for things like moving files from Vuze to iTunes, or uploading other files on my computer to iCloud apps so I can pull them up on my iPad).
    -Comics
    -Textbooks/School PDFs (I have some marketing cases I have to read saved in iBooks, all my syllabuses etc)
    -Movies/TV Shows (both stored and streaming)
    -Sports (scores, streaming, audio)
    -Network administration (keep my home network running properly via Airport Utility app)
    -Email
    -FaceTime
    -Social Media
    -AirDisplay (I sometimes use my iPad as a secondary screen for my MBA - when I'm in a coffee shop or someplace away from my iMac at home)
    -Shopping
    -Photo editing (I'm a novice, nothing complex)
    -Banking/Finances
    -Health tracking
    -Gaming
    -Controlling my home security system and DirecTV boxes
    -Recipies
    -My wife's wardrobe is organized on our home iPad
    -Drawing (my wife does)

I'm sure there are other things, but I use my iPad for damn near everything....people who claim its not a productive device, or that it can't replace a computer are talking about either very processor-heavy tasks or specific workflows/applications. If you're willing to adapt your workflow for the convenience of an iPad, you can pretty much do whatever you need to do on one.

There literally is an app for just about everything. And iPad specific apps are legit.

----------

Reading is probably the only thing I don't do on my iPad (reading books that is versus comics and illustrated textbooks). I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I love reading on. Much prefer taking a $100 device that works in sunlight to the beach versus my potentially very expensive iPad (my plans are the 128GB LTE rMini 2).

----------

Check out the refurbished store on apple.com - great prices on Apple-certified refurbs. Better than new in most cases because they undergone much more rigorous testing.

$249 for a first gen iPad mini. If you're lucky, you might be able to spot a $339 4th gen iPad (9.7"). Plenty of options, just have to keep checking back as they update regularly.

21. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Some productive things I do:
    1. Backup important documents to Dropbox with SharpScan Pro.
    2. Manage most of my business and personal life with Google Voice through Hangouts integration.
    3. Use Reminders to keep on top of important dates and times.
    4. Create plans and map out ideas with mind mapping software like Dream X.
    5. Sync important files across cloud services for work with IFTTT.
    6. Find my way back to my vehicle with iArrow in a crowded lot or event, or after hiking.
    7. As a garage door opener with BleOpener.
    8. Recording lectures or other important meetings that need to be gone over in detail.
    9. Organize important files locally and through cloud services with TOP Files.

I could probably go on about my favorite text editors for work or my favorite apps to keep efficient and productive while traveling but yeah, the iPad is definitely what you make it. There's even apps out there that will teach you to tap type much faster for productivity.

22. Adonys macrumors regular

23. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

I am. I type up my daily activity reports at work, I'm the Lodge Secretary so I type up meeting minutes and pump out letters to send to brothers. I fax reports and edit docs as well as keeping up with the member database, financial reports and monthly Masonic Education lectures. All on my iPad Air 64GB WiFi. Also edit lodge website, scan docs and conduct facilitate meetings.

24. theromz macrumors regular

Use it for testing websites, if I didn't have I wouldn't be hugely missed, it is just nice to make sure animations run at 60FPS and there isn't any weird safari mobile bugs.

25. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

Hey HappyDude20

I am one of those iPad Power Users, replaced my laptop for my iPad 2 years ago and never looked back.

My iPad actually looks pretty similar to how you described yours. I have what I call my dash board veiw, which is my 1st screen which has all my essential business apps that I use more than twice a day. Then on my 2nd screen I have just have folders that contain tons of apps that allow me to get around any hurdles I may face, I.e iAttachment for sending multiple attachment docs, puffin Web browser for viewing websites with flash.