Anyone here switch from 8800GT to 4870 Graphics card?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by TheSpaz, May 19, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Has anyone here upgraded from the 8800GT to the new 4870? Do you notice a big difference in gaming or is it only slightly better? Also, I'd like to mention that I do not want to boot into Windows to play games. I play the Mac version of Call of Duty 4 and I'm curious what others have to say about the game performance with the 4870. I did look at barefeat's benchmarks but, I like to know what the real world has to say instead of relying on time demo tests with Anti-Aliasing on and stuff.

2. sven- macrumors member

Yes me since a few days!

Although the difference is not huge, i can clearly see it. I don't use Windows via Bootcamp, so i can't help you with that, but i do play the Mac version of Call of Duty 2 and 4.

First of all, i'm really glad that i'm again able to play Cod2 again. (Cod2 doesn't work properly with the 8xxx and 9xxx series of nVidia graphics cards - see other topic called "Call of Duty 2 LAG" for more information). I can play that game with maxed out settings on my 20" ACD (1680x1050 res.)

In Cod4, i play with higher settings than before. I now play with 2x anti aliasing, all the texture settings on High, the other settings all maxed out (i don't use V-Sync though), and it plays smooth enough for me most of the time. In some big maps (like Creek) the frames can drop to 30 fps, so i might lower my settings a little in the future, but till now it's looked promising.

Furthermore, i'm more a ATI fan than a nVidia fan. ATI cards seem to work better with OS X, the built in graphics (like opening Dashboard) stutter less than with the 8800GT.

So for me, this card was definitely worth the money and the 2.5 months waiting :)

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Great news! I too hated that CoD2 stuttered like crazy with the 8800GT. I know exactly what you mean. It's not really a slower framerate but rather a slight pause every second or so. It drove me nuts. I was hoping that 10.5.7 would fix it but it did not. Second of all... I love CoD4 and I installed the 1.7.1 update for it and Anti-Aliasing is MUCH better now. Turning on AA only decreases my framerate by 2fps... rather than 20fps. I'm excited to get the new card. Do you think Snow Leopard will change the way existing games will run or will games need to be designed differently?

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Also, can you boot from the normal Leopard install disc? I remember when I got my 8800GT, I could no longer boot from the Leopard disc due to drivers missing. I don't want to have to buy a new copy of Leopard.

5. sven- macrumors member

I don't think so. The games would have to be optimized, but they might run a little bit better. Still, don't expect too much.

I haven't tested this, so i really don't know. What i do know is that you can use the card without having to use 10.5.7. When i upgraded i ran 10.5.5 (i never update unless i have to), and i was in doubt about whether or not the system could even boot, but it did! Big surprise for me! Still you need to update to 10.5.7 in the end because otherwise you can't use the full power of the card. 10.5.7 does contain the new ATI drivers. Before i updated Core Image wasn't hardware accelerated and Quartz Extreme didn't work, and after running the update the card works wonderfully.

Hope i helped!