Anyone Here Switch to iPhone Because of Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gmann21133, May 18, 2015.

1. gmann21133 macrumors member

gmann21133

I was just wondering if the Watch caused people to switch to the iPhone.

2. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you rephrase?
    You need and iPhone to use the apple watch.

3. BigMovieGeek macrumors regular

Judging from my social group, I'd imagine it to be very little. Not many of my Android friends have shown much interest in the watch and those that have, went straight to Google's version.

4. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

He/she is asking if any users of other types of phones switched to the iPhone specifically so they could use the Apple Watch.

5. gmann21133 thread starter macrumors member

gmann21133

Sorry if that was not clear, but yes I was wondering if anyone switched from another phone type just because of the Watch. Thanks Jabba, and it would be he. #
    I was just curious especially since Apple started that trade in program that included other smart phones.

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    mmm, I see, thanks! I don't know anyone yet that has switched to iPhone from other platforms solely for the Apple Watch ... yet. I do know a number of people who have switched from non-iOS platforms to iOS though.

7. jwball macrumors regular

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I have a friend that's gonna have to switch to iPhone since he got an Apple Watch from his wife.

9. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

I think apple's commercials for the watch have been pretty poor, and would be very surprised if people outside the tech & apple community were very interested in the watch at this point. The tech-engaged android folks will already know about apple's ecosystem and have chosen not to be a part of it, and the watch doesn't seem to provide a strong reason to reconsider... Especially with all the app load time issues. I love my watch, but I can tell i'm giving it more slack than I should... The way siri cuts out several times a day, and 30-60 second load times... I can see someone critical of Apple being totally uninterested in early adoption, and couldn't blame them.

10. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

My brother in law's girlfriend wants an Apple Watch and is switching to iPhone from her Nexus to get one.

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Compared to Google's Android wear commercial where teenagers are dancing around and they are not actually even showing the features of the watch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybg5klCxQGA

12. gmann21133 thread starter macrumors member

gmann21133

This question first popped in my mind when I noticed a lot of the people that did the reviews were Android users. They mostly thought the Watch not worth it, and I thought that this was some of the reasons it was not useful to them.

13. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

lol, no not compared to Google's... that is a bad commercial too. I would put them both in the same category.

14. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

reminds me of the Microsoft surface commercials where they only dance already with the tablet :D

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What do you mean "the watch?"

The point of the ad is to tell you that many manufacturers make Android watches. There's isn't a single watch.

I think it gets the point across pretty well.

16. Fynd macrumors 6502

No, but the Watch will likely keep me from switching back and forth going into the future. It's one thing to buy/sell/swap all the time between iOS and Android, it's another to have to bring wearables that likely don't hold resale into it...

17. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I dunno. I think the average person watching that would have literally no idea what was being advertised. The idea of advertising a platform like Android Wear as opposed to a specific product may be hard for a lot of people to grasp.

18. Melektrya macrumors newbie

My hubby converted from Android (Samsung Note II) very quickly after taking me to my :apple:Watch try on appointment (was to be my anniversary gift). He purchased an iPhone 6+ on the spot and went home to order BOTH of us watches.

19. xthine macrumors regular

xthine

Switched from an Android to the iPhone 6 shortly after the watch was announced. The last time I had an iPhone was circa first generation iPhone.