Anyone Here Triple-Booting on New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tokiopop, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well, my MacBook Pro arrives in a few days and I wanting to triple-boot OSX, XP and Ubuntu. It's got a 500GB hard drive so I'm wanting to split the partitions up into 250GB, 200GB, and 50GB. I need to have all 3 on the same computer.

I'm following this short tutorial:
    Has anyone else done this? And is there an easier way? What problems have those of you that did this run into?

Edit: I found the tutorial here. If I were to do all of this successfully, what would happen if I updated to Snow Leopard?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I didn't go that route for native booting, but sounds interesting

I have Vista installed through Boot Camp
    And I have Windows 7 64 RC in a Fusion VM
    And I have Ubuntu in a Fusion VM as well

Installed easily and flawlessly for all installs (except POS Vista)
    I will remove Vista when Windows 7 comes out

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

What's the difference between booting it natively and booting it via bootcamp!?

I have found bootcamp to be bad. The touchpad is not working that well (it always thinks left clicks are right clicks) and the performance is not as good as on my 2.4 ghz Dell (I have a 3.06 Ghz MBP; all the other specs are similar).

If I turn aero on in bootcamp, the whole computer slows down to a crawl. It is ok when it is off, but I would like to have it on and work well.

I am going to try this right now.

When you say "C" do you mean "command"? I though you choose "option/alt" to choose your disk.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Booting natively is booting through Boot Camp
    My comments were about using a VM instead of Boot Camp

Holding the "C" key boots through the CD/DVD drive directly without choosing I believe

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I run 2 Virtuals (XP/CentOS) simultaneously and they are all great together. Never done the native trio, though - just duo once with OSX/XP which was fine but I preferred the virtual scenario instead. Virtuals are (or seem to me) more fluid as far as hardware translation goes and as long as you have enough memory you really don't suffer any losses in performance.
    All in all it's how you intend to use it, I suppose...

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Agreed

I didn't see the need to boot natively with Ubuntu
    A VM was fine for my purposes...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

His post describes installing Windows (NOT) through bootcamp. Is this any different than a bootcamp installation?

8. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Not really, I'm just making the partition with bootcamp then manually installing XP, I think. I'm not too sure why though, I'm just going by the tutorial :p

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Bootcamp merely provides drivers for Windows and is a partitioning utility...it doesn't really "boot" anything.

If you put in a Windows installation CD, and hold Option during the Apple "zing", you will see that you can run the installation for Windows.