Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Hey! So with the upcoming releases I had made up my mind to sell my macbook pro retina late 2013 and buy the new iMac since I would want a bigger screen to work on. I had planned to use iPad as my "laptop". Actually writing this post on a surface with one of those keyboards you attach!

I had forgotten that Apple had thunderbolt displays though. I also saw that the thunderbolt displays are more than just screens. However I saw that people have a lot of problems with them according to reviews and it does not have hdmi nor any possibility to use hdmi even through adapters. Very weird in my opinion to not have a simple hdmi output. The reason I would want hdmi is because I would hook up a ps3/ps4 to it.

We will have to wait to see what apple presents so maybe I should of made this thread a little later, but theoretically speaking rMBP + Thunderbolt display is a deadly combo. I have my computing power wherever I go and at home I can work with dual monitors. Can for e.g. watch a tutorial on my macbook and work on the thunderbolt display.

I hope that the new ones coming have hdmi. Then that would be an instant purchases.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hey! So with the upcoming releases I had made up my mind to sell my macbook pro retina late 2013 and buy the new iMac since I would want a bigger screen to work on. I had planned to use iPad as my "laptop". Actually writing this post on a surface with one of those keyboards you attach!

I had forgotten that Apple had thunderbolt displays though. I also saw that the thunderbolt displays are more than just screens. However I saw that people have a lot of problems with them according to reviews and it does not have hdmi nor any possibility to use hdmi even through adapters. Very weird in my opinion to not have a simple hdmi output. The reason I would want hdmi is because I would hook up a ps3/ps4 to it.

We will have to wait to see what apple presents so maybe I should of made this thread a little later, but theoretically speaking rMBP + Thunderbolt display is a deadly combo. I have my computing power wherever I go and at home I can work with dual monitors. Can for e.g. watch a tutorial on my macbook and work on the thunderbolt display.

I hope that the new ones coming have hdmi. Then that would be an instant purchases.

Why not just buy one of the many docks (see caldigit, Akitio, belkin) then you can hook ANY monitor of your choosing to it, save yourself some cash, and you can use HDMI IN (not output as you stated) for your PS3/PS4 on the monitor?

Seems like already solves your problem for much cheaper than $1k. In fact you can get some pretty nice 27" 1440P monitors for less than $400 (even name brand ones like HP's) and a dock for $200 that does everything the TBD does.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Why not just buy one of the many docks (see caldigit, Akitio, belkin) then you can hook ANY monitor of your choosing to it, save yourself some cash, and you can use HDMI IN (not output as you stated) for your PS3/PS4 on the monitor?

Seems like already solves your problem for much cheaper than $1k. In fact you can get some pretty nice 27" 1440P monitors for less than $400 (even name brand ones like HP's) and a dock for $200 that does everything the TBD does.

But if I do as you say everything is not built in? I want as minimalistic design as possible and I don't care about the money since it's a longterm investment. I want Thunderbolt or nothing.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
But if I do as you say everything is not built in? I want as minimalistic design as possible and I don't care about the money since it's a longterm investment. I want Thunderbolt or nothing.

It's one extra device that could easily be hidden under a desk or what not. That's really not "much" more.... One cable from your MBP to a dock hidden under a desk then another cable from the hidden dock to the monitor (of your choice)..... Seems pretty minimal. Every other cable is the same. Actually it allows you to have even more minimal cables because all the rest of the cables can be hidden under the desk connected to the dock instead of out the back of your monitor which can be easily seen....

Just sayin'

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
It's one extra device that could easily be hidden under a desk or what not. That's really not "much" more.... One cable from your MBP to a dock hidden under a desk then another cable from the hidden dock to the monitor (of your choice)..... Seems pretty minimal. Every other cable is the same. Actually it allows you to have even more minimal cables because all the rest of the cables can be hidden under the desk connected to the dock instead of out the back of your monitor which can be easily seen....

Just sayin'

Well I want a Thunderbolt display regardless. I think design and estetisk is very important. The Thunderbolt will have a bunch of other features built in anyways and it will have a great screen. I'm pretty sure they will add HDMI though since I saw that the latest macbook pros were apparently the first ones with it

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

I use a high quality LG monitor that has display port and HDMI and a couple other inputs. Plug both my computers in and use the switch in the monitor to select between the inputs. Some monitors will run 1/2 from one source and the other half from another source... so you could view both the rMBP and playstation at the same time. These monitors also have a USB3 hub built in but you need to run a USB cable too.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
I use a high quality LG monitor that has display port and HDMI and a couple other inputs. Plug both my computers in and use the switch in the monitor to select between the inputs. Some monitors will run 1/2 from one source and the other half from another source... so you could view both the rMBP and playstation at the same time. These monitors also have a USB3 hub built in but you need to run a USB cable too.

It sounds good. Is it 4k too?

mawyatt1

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
Clearwater, Fl

Nick,

I use the TB display with my MBPr and Mac Pro. It works very well, and the fact the display becomes your docking port with USB, TB, Firewire, Ethernet and nice sound is a plus. Only one cable that comes with the TB display is required to plug the MBPr in. The TB cable from the TB display even has a pigtail that has the power for the MBPr (You need to get the Mag Adapter to fit the MBPr), so no need for a charger.

Mike

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
Nick,

I use the TB display with my MBPr and Mac Pro. It works very well, and the fact the display becomes your docking port with USB, TB, Firewire, Ethernet and nice sound is a plus. Only one cable that comes with the TB display is required to plug the MBPr in. The TB cable from the TB display even has a pigtail that has the power for the MBPr (You need to get the Mag Adapter to fit the MBPr), so no need for a charger.

Mike

Sounds perfect! I'm guessing however new Thunderbolt will have the new magsafe that fits retina macbook

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Hey! So with the upcoming releases I had made up my mind to sell my macbook pro retina late 2013 and buy the new iMac since I would want a bigger screen to work on.

What's wrong with your current setup? I also bought the top end 2013 rMBP with 16GB and the GT750M graphics card, and it is currently driving a 27" NEC PA271W (2560 x 1440) monitor, a 24" Eizo CG241W (1920 x 1200) plus the built in display. I also have four external drives connected via Thunderbolt in an OWC ThunderBay IV case.

My old Mac Pro started dying a few days before the rMBP was released last October, and with all the nMP's backordered I thought I'd get the rMBP as a temporary holdover until I could pick up a nMP. But I have not seen the bottlenecks I expected, so until something else comes up, I have the mix of portability and a decent work machine.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2014
What's wrong with your current setup? I also bought the top end 2013 rMBP with 16GB and the GT750M graphics card, and it is currently driving a 27" NEC PA271W (2560 x 1440) monitor, a 24" Eizo CG241W (1920 x 1200) plus the built in display. I also have four external drives connected via Thunderbolt in an OWC ThunderBay IV case.

My old Mac Pro started dying a few days before the rMBP was released last October, and with all the nMP's backordered I thought I'd get the rMBP as a temporary holdover until I could pick up a nMP. But I have not seen the bottlenecks I expected, so until something else comes up, I have the mix of portability and a decent work machine.

I haven't intended that something was wrong with it? I will not sell it though. I will always have the combo of a retina macbook + thunderbolt display. That would be the best combo available tbh. You have a power house laptop to go with you anywhere you go and then when you are at home it's like working on an imac, just not as good specs. I can work in 3d programs and so without a problem though. It will just be the rendering time that will be long. Also you can use your laptop as a second screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.