Anyone here use an EyeTV with comcast?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jjahshik32, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious as if the eyetv can pick up all of the channels from comcast say up to 600+ channels? I have the NBA league pass and I wanted to watch multiple games on the mac.

also can you watch more than 1 channel opened at a time?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

you're probably not going to be able to get the league pass, movie or any premium channels. only the basic channels.

Each unit only has 1 tuner, so 1 station at a time, I'm not sure if multiple units are supported.

if you take the cable and plug it directly into your tv without a box, those are the channels you can get. If you don't have a HD tuner in the television, the eye tv will be able to tune additional HD channels, but probably only the locals, and possibly the HD versions of the ones you can tune in standard definition.

It also depends on where you are, Comcast is not the same in every market. I had them in Northern Jersey and was able to get channels 1 thru 99, but didn't have an HD tuner so i couldn't tell you about that.

3. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Wow. I was just going to post something about an EyeTV. OWC has one or $70! Yeah, it's a referb + non Clear-QAM.

I'm piggy backing here. If I don't buy the one with Clear-QAM am I missing out? I have basic cable and nothing beyond that. Wouldn't I just be getting the same channels with either one?

To answer the OP's question - it's not going to replace your cable box. If you have a 600+ channel subscription, you'll need to plug the cable box into the EveTV. Otherwise, you'll get the basic package you get when you don't use your cable box. It's all about encryption.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I do already have a hd dvr so does this mean I can hook up the dvr to the eyetv and into the mbp and all 600+ channels will come out?

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

you would have to have the dvr tuned to the appropriate channel. all the eye tv will do is take the single channel output like your regular tv does. But i think it only has S-Video in, so you won't have true High Def.

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Hmm.. I guess it defeats the purpose of buying the Eyetv then..