Anyone here use Fusion off a Bootcamp partition?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chupa Chupa, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've got Win XP installed on my Bootcamp partition. I also have Fusion which uses Windows from this Bootcamp partition. When I run windows inside of Fusion it tells me I need to activate. I though running from the BC partition negated the need to activate again. Is this not the case?

2. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i have the exact same problem..
    i activated bootcamp's win xp while in fusion..
    and now when i load bootcamp on the startup it doesnt let me log in..and tells me i have to activate now .. what the hell..:mad:

3. theman macrumors 6502a

on the "you must activate" popup, select "activate by phone". there is a phone number there. call it. you will get some person in india. tell them you just upgraded your cpu, and now it says you need to activate. they will ask if it is the same computer. say yes. are you sure? yes. then the indian person will give you a new activation code. type it in, and press activate. all set. it works, at least it used to.

but don't do this, because it's bad. ;)

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

But then presumably the same thing will happen again when you boot back the other way, so it's not really a solution (I'm assuming).

I just love "activation". One of the reasons I seem to be switching back to a Macintosh.

5. thegrifman macrumors regular

That doesn't surprise me about XP. I was expecting the same thing to happen when I booted my Vista partition using Fusion but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't happen.

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have Vista Ultimate 64Bit installed in my Boot Camp partition. I just configured Fusion to access it and it was really simple. Seems to work fine. I may give it a bit more testing, just to be sure.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

So you guys installed a regular copy of Vista through Boot Camp, activated it, and can freely reboot between OS X Fusion and Bootcamp, and Vista doesn't trigger that it needs reactivation?

If so, that's great news.

8. thegrifman macrumors regular

Indeed. No activation nags at all and I switch back and forth quite a bit. Boot native to game and Fusion for Quicken and whenever I need MS Office.

9. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Wow. Thanks for t hat info! Unfortunatly because of my job I really should get Vista at some point, and it's nice to know I can hopefully just install Vista once in Bootcamp and use it in Fusion too.

Which version is this? I guess Home Basic and Premium don't "support" virtualization, although apparently that's not really a technical restriction (?)

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

If you use Windows XP with bootcamp and Fusion you need to activate it twice. The sequence of events is:

1. Boot into bootcamp, activate.
    2. Boot bootcamp in fusion.
    3. Install VMware Tools.
    4. Reboot bootcamp in Fusion.
    5. Activate Windows XP in Fusion

You can activate Windows XP a number of times over the Internet before you have to call them. Once you get to the point where you have to call them you just jump through the hoops and they give you a new key. After that you can activate a number of times over the Internet again. I've done it about 5 times so far where I've had to call them.

11. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

This won't affect me, but just out of curiosity, after it's been activated in Fusion, it still stays activated somehow in Bootcamp?

12. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Yes, its a function of VMware tools.