Anyone here use laptop stand?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boba7523, Oct 1, 2012.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Does anyone here use laptop stand so you don't have to place it on your lap all the time while sitting in bed? I'm thinking about getting one but might be concerned about arm soreness as i'd most likely have to raise my arm every time i type or use the trackpad... Unless i'm imagining it wrong?

2. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Rain Design - iLap

My husband and I both have an iLap laptop stand and love it. I used it for my 13" Macbook unibody and he has a 15" MacBook Pro. It makes typing very comfortable in every position and it keeps your MacBook nice and cool. They carry them in the Apple Store or you can get it from http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html or probably Amazon. I don't feel the need to use it with my new 13" MBA.
    ilap_cushion.jpg ilap_side.gif

3. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you use your laptop while laying in bed? If i do it for prolong periods of time, my lower back starts to ache... Was wondering if you have any suggestions on lower back cushion or something

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I use an old notebook rubber-coated pad, no longer made, it's just a rigid platform to shield me from the heat and provides a solid flat surface for the notebook so it can breathe properly. Nothing fancy. Once I had a fancy bed-table, used it a couple of times and that's was it. Here, low tech, simple is best, IHO.

Working the track pad hasn't been a prob, but of course when it's on my lap, am just casually surfing, not doing anything heavy duty.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use my laptop in bed, but I do use a lap desk to protect my legs from getting toasted. I also have a laptop stand on my desk to raise it up (to protect against potential spilled liquids.

6. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I took the iLap with me everywhere... we used to have a motor home and while my husband drove I would sit length-wise on the coach playing away on my computer. I actually bruised my tail bone sitting in that position too long. What an idiot. So be careful for long periods of time.

I am short so I always need something in the small of my back. But I am very comfortable typing in any position with the iLap... in bed, the couch, recliner, etc. My husband will use it on top of a lap desk in the living room that positions over his lap when he's in his recliner because he likes the cushion it has against his forearms. He's a published author and is always writing. Neither of us has ever suffered from carpel tunnel or anything.

It's a pretty personal-comfort-type choice.

7. mslide macrumors 6502a

I have an older version of this lap desk, that I got from Brookstone. I find it very comfortable to use when sitting up in bed or lounging around on a couch/recliner/etc.

8. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Anyone have more options so i can compare? :eek:

9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have 2 of these and they work great..No frills fully adjustable and work well with my MBA 13" and my (heavy lump) 17" MBP

Attached Files:

11. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

Ive just ordered this (these?): Just Mobile Lazy Couch

Havent received it yet but it seems like a very portable way of propping up and keeping your mac cool.

They seem a bit pricy, think they're $20 in the US, but they're well designed to match the computer, clip together in a nice form and are lovely and rubbery!

I'll update when they arrive, hopefully on monday because i'm too cheap to pay for quicker delivery!

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Respectfully... Get up & get moving!

Think fitness people, get outside & get active.

Look around notice the beauty & enjoy it. :D

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just-Mobile stuff is a little pricey, but it's worth it...The quality is superb..Just ordered a stand for my IP5 through them.

14. ethannich009 macrumors newbie

I am not use laptop in my bed. But i have not any such type of laptop.........!

15. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Maybe these people have work to do which is why they have these problems...what kind of reply is this? The question is a good lap desk because his back hurts not a philosophy on living his life.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Hey! Just trying to be helpful, if you don't have your health, you can't sit for hours :)

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Some people make a living from the internet or other things that require them to use a computer for long periods - Sure, getting outside is important, but for many cutting down the amount of time they are on the computer isn't really an option.