Anyone here use the Mini-DVI connector for their Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asdfTT123, Jan 4, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I just purchased from the online Apple Store the Mini-DVI to DVI connector for my 24" display. The display is currently hooked up to my PC desktop system but I think it would be cool to have it hooked up to my Macbook for Mac OS time after time. My question is, has anyone used this with their Macbook before? Is it capable of powering external displays at 1920x1200? Also, is it possible to make the external display the primary display for the desktop? I heard it was possible to have the Macbook closed and yet power the external display to act as the primary LCD via the frontrow remote. Can anyone confirm this? Also, will the display resize from 1280x800 or higher MBP resolutions to 1920x1200? Thanks =)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I have one on my macbook, works really good the only problem is you can't run 2 external monitors off it. As it's only got one graphics port.

You can only use 1 external display and then the laptop display

Unless you are able to do this? .

4. tammy418 macrumors member

To answer some of your questions :

1. yes it is capable of powering a display up to 1920 x 1200

2. Yes you can use the external display as the primary display, I do it all the time with my macbook.

3. Im not sure if you can simply close the lid of the macbook and use the front row remote to turn it back on. I believe you have to have an external keyboard and mouse to do that, which is what I have. At the moment I cannot test this out because I am home for winter break.

4.If you have the display preferences set to mirroring then both your external display and laptop display will be the same resolution (i.e the lower one). If you have a macbook then both displays will be at 1200 x 800. If you set the monitor to extended (or whatever it is called) then each monitor can be set at their maximum resolution. So for your monitor the external would be set at 1920 x1200 and the macbook at 1200 x800.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A paired Front Row Remote seems to the best way to awaken a clamshell Mac laptop.

My keyboard and mouse have been hit an miss more often then not.

6. motomullet macrumors member

Works great as the primary display @ 1920x1200 on my 23"

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I have the original 13" macbook, and I use the mini-dvi adaptor to power a 24" monitor at 1920x1200.

It works like a charm, sort of - 90% of the time it's a dream. I LOVE the expanded screen real estate and i use a griffin icurve to elegantly lift the macbook to have it on the same level.

So in regard to the bad 10% of the time, sometimes when I plug the mini-dvi cable in, it puts some retarded resolution on the macbook screen and then mirrors it on the 24" screen. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the macbook or with the monitor - on the 15th i'm ordering a new macbook so i'll be able to narrow it down. Oh when it doesn't work, i just unplug and plug it in until it works. It always does after a few plugs.

-Kevin

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I used to use it to power my 37in hdtv... works great

9. jeff3221 macrumors regular

I use my macbook with an external display. I have a mini dvi to vga adapter. I always use it in clamshell mode at my desk and use my mouse or keyboard to wake the laptop up.