Anyone here using a Mini as a Media Center?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Sensamic, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I bought a 2010 Mini just to use it as a HTPC in my living room connected to the TV.

I use mainly Plex, which gets all the media from my Synology NAS.

I don't use it to play games much.

Anyone else has a Mini that they ONLY use it as a media center?

If so, which Mini model and what is your full setup?

I also use my phone and tablet to control Plex and the Mini.

2. Dont Hurt Me, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Mid 2011 Mini the only one Apple made with dedicated graphics 6630M i5 2.5 with 4 GB of ram connected to a 40" led samsung with eyetv makes a heck of a mancave machine. Hard to get excited about the new Mini's when your using this one. Very happy with this set up for all media, music,photos,games,netflix,hulu espn or whatever.:)

Perhaps ill give it a ssd and a lil more ram one day but for now just don't need it.

3. jaycee520 macrumors regular

Late 2012 mini i5 2.5 ghz…thinking of getting an SSD sometime before the holidays…52” Sony for Plex and a 24” Samsung display for browsing.Also connected to it is an eyeTV and a Drobo 5D for all my Plex media:)

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

My 2012 Mac Mini's main purpose is to be a HTPC. It's on 24/7 and attached to my AV Receiver. However, it also has 20TB of storage attached so it serves as a NAS for the rest of the house and "downloads content" in the background as required.

5. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

My 2010 only has 2GB RAM and C2Duo. It's slow, but it can play every video file just perfect (even huge 1080P mkv files from bluray rips).

I don't see the need to upgrade while the Mini can play smoothly every video I throw at it.

What benefits would I see upgrading to the 2012 or 2014 Mini if I use it only for Plex? My Plex Server is on the NAS, which is also C2Duo I think.

Anybody else with other HTPC setups? It's interesting to see others configurations.

6. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I have a late 2009 2.26 with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD. Plex server and Plex Home Theatre installed (I don't stream because I hate buffering and I don't compress blu-ray rips). 9 TB (and counting) on two external drives.