Anyone here wants a < 11" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ticonderoga, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Ticonderoga macrumors newbie

With all the comments saying how 13" MBP is too small, I can't help but to think there must be another side of the market.

Anyone here wishes that Apple makes a 11" or below MBP? I am not talking about underpowered netbooks, but powerful ultra-portables like Sony's VAIO T series or Fujitsu's P series. Personally I find Fujitsu's 8.9" form factor extremely portable and useful on field, and it has just as many ports as the new 13" MBP...

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I bought an MSI Wind and had it for about two weeks before returning it. For me even a 10" display on a portable is just too small. Also the screen resolution is a limiting factor. My friend has installed OS X on his and the 600 pixel height which is common on most netbooks just doesn't cut it under OS X. I also hate the touch pads these things have.

I've just downgraded from a 15" MBP to a 13" and am very happy with the size. Its small, yet not too small like a netbook.

I guess its personal preference though.

pac

4. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

yuk it wont even have a full sized keyboard it wont happen.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

This is the reason Apple gives every time when they get asked about under sized laptops.

Then again, they could surprise us. But until then, it just won't happen.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

No but an 11" or 12" Touchscreen MacTablet would be nice!!!!!!!

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Stick a new mac mini's guts inside my 12" powerbook, and I'll be one happy camper! Even if they have to take out the superdrive, I'll live with it.

8. macgrl macrumors 65816

Nope, it would be too small a screen for me, although I am sure that there are people out there that would love it. :)

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Yep, not to mention the mattel build quality and semi-usable keyboard.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

At one time, Apple made a wonderful 12 inch PowerBook. :)

I would venture to say that many who experienced the thrill of this very capable laptop would love to see a new updated version.

Personally, I really liked the keyboard on those models. And it was basically the same keyboard for the PB12, 15 and 17 inch models. Sweet.

Can Apple design a sub 13 inch MBP? My guess would be yes. Would that be a good idea? Not so sure given the new MBP 13 inch model.

The 64 dollar question remains. What is the purpose for the 10.4 inch displays? A smaller MBP? Or a smaller MBA? Or for a tablet? Who knows?

11. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

No, I rarely find myself wishing I had less real estate!

What I would like is a MacBook Air with no lines on the screen and 4GB+ RAM.

If you want to a small screen you can just resize your windows smaller and maybe put black tape on the corners so only 10" is visible :p

12. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I would like a 10" MBP with only a 3mm bezel ie. pretty much a bezeless 10" MATTE screen. Firewire, min 2X USB slots, 256GB SSD, + Express card, Ethernet. And white or silver back lit keys (or user customizable KB). Sweet.

And Yes, I'm not yanking your chain. I'm dead serious. :D

13. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

i think 11" might be a little too small...i just got the 13" mbp and seems just right

14. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I've have used a 12" PB and have a 12" iBook (a bit bigger). The PB was great to use and so light. A similar MB would definitely fill a niche for an ultra-portable but also powerful Mac laptop, unlike netbooks which use outdated/slow components. Although the rumored Apple netbook/tablet may eventually fill this void. I wouldn't want one, but something small would be great to carry around a college campus, and you could have an external monitor in your dorm.

15. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

I was dead set on getting a netbook...until I actually used one. I find what Apple's doing to be really great: I got this updated MBP for use at home and on the go. And if I don't feel like bringing a laptop with me, I have this free iPod touch to cheap my mail and do a little bit of surfing anywhere I want.