Anyone here watch UFC?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dynamyk, May 26, 2007.

1. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Just curious, I've been watching/training in it for almost 10 years now. Just wondering if anyone's on the same boat?

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

3. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

Hey there!

I'm a HUGE Fan of the UFC. My boyfriend and I don't miss a PPV and are avid watchers of TUF.

we've been into it for a few years now.

I can't say that I train, but I can definitely hold my own when it comes to watching and knowing about it :)

Did you happen to catch the fight between Liddell and Rampage this weekend? OMG! Can you believe it? Personally... I expected it, but didn't actually think that Chuck could lose (he's such a good champ afterall).

So you've been training for 10 years or so? In Toronto? Did you start training in MMA or did you have some kind of martial arts background to begin with? Who do you train with? What weight class are you in? (sorry for all the Q's.. i'm interested is all!) :)

- Wendy

4. dodong macrumors member

dodong

Yes, I saw that fight between Liddell and Jackson yesterday and it was a very convincing win. I saw Rampage fight in Pride before and I can say he's an animal. Very intimidating.

5. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I won $200 on that fight since all my friends only know Chuck lol.

MMA isn't sanctioned here in Ontario so I train for the hell of it, plus my knee's all but broken from basketball so I don't know if I would seriously compete I just really enjoy to train. I would fight at 155 as I walk around 165. Started with Karate when I was much younger, but I've been training all aspects since 98'.

6. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

it's crazy how outmatched chuck looked up against rampage actually... especially considering how superior he is to everyone else he's been put up against.

I wonder who's next in line for a title shot. Think Chuck will get a rematch or do ya think he'll have to fight someone else first?

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Dan Henderson (Pride Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Champion) gets the next shot at Rampage. I like Henderson in that one, but will be close.

I think until Chuck gets more serious about his training (there were reports that the week before UFC 71 he was out hard at some LV clubs), he'll be LHW champ again. Rampage just has his number it seems, and I think Dan Henderson > Chuck (even though I'm a big fan of his).

8. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I'm hoping for a Lauzon/Diaz final.. that would be sweet. Also rooting for BJ Penn in the finale, too. :)

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Did you guys see Cro Cop's match against Gonzaga? That was such a crazy upset.

10. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Chuck looks superior cause UFC fed him opponents that fit his style of fighting. Look at his list of victims since Rampage. All grapplers, Babalu, Randy, Tito, Horn. They've all been grapplers who fit into his spawl and brawl style. They're standup isn't good enough for them not to get caught.

Everytime he's fought a legit striker he's never looked "superior". Allistair was beating him before he gassed, Guy Mezger was beating him till he got caught (not the greatest jaw). EVen Vitor who took the fight on 2 weeks notice did well against him.

Chuck is not over-rated, he's a solid solid fighter, but his standup won't hold up with a proper striker

11. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Hmm I don't know how the pairings will work after the semi's but Gray and Joe would be my pick for the Final. BJ all the way, in my mind he's the most skilled guy in the MMA game.

It was an upset but I bet on Gonzaga lol, me and Randy think alike.

12. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Haha, I would have lost a lot of money; Cro Cop is my favorite fighter.

13. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

i quite enjoyed watching jardine get his balls handed to him by alexander. it got ugly fast on that one!

14. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

that poor guy... i thought his leg was definitely broken. he must have torn some ligaments or something.... that was just plain ugly. I honestly didn't expect that knockout. I thought crocop would see that kind of kick a mile away.

I think a crazier upset (and possibly the biggest upset in the past year in the UFC) was GSP and Serra. I guess it could be because GSP is my favorite fighter, but that was a fight that just left me staring puzzled at the television screen when it ended. I think it all boils down to underestimating opponents... that combined with the fact that all these "new-to-the-UFC" fighters from pride are awesome.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what else pride has to offer.

PS. Rampage is HILARIOUS lol

15. Dynamyk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

That's one fight I didn't bet on and thankfully I didn't cause I would've bet on GSP. It looked like he got the back of his head but it wasn't on purpose.

16. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

I thought so too... they don't usually try to cause a lot of controversy over stuff like that though unless it's obvious that something illegal was done.

matt serra came into that fight in fantastic shape and i'm glad for him. I couldn't (and can't) help for feel sad for GSP... he's such a hard worker.

talking about sketchy finishes... i think it was keith jardine's fight in ufc71 that was a little controversial (in my opinion). you can't knee a down opponent to the head, and i'm pretty sure the blow that finished him came from an illegal knee to his head (one of his knees was on the mat). but like i said, i think the ufc tries to stay away from controversy if at all possible.

17. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Some names (some more well known than others) to keep an eye on in future events, and that I'm particularly excited to see:

Wanderlei Silva (former UFC, held Pride LHW title for 5 something years.. lost his belt to Dan Henderson at the last Pride event.. supposed to fight Chuck next)
    Paul Filho (reports that Rich Franklin turned down an offer to fight him at UFC 72, chose Okami instead)
    Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (teammate of Wanderlei, some say the best LHW in the world)
    Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (I think he's already signed to fight in UFC 73)
    ...and continually rumored by Dana himself: Fedor Emelianenko

18. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I re-played that sequence several times.. he definitely does try to knee Jardine when Jardine is on the way back up.

BUT, it didn't look to me like it landed on his head or neck.. or did much damage at all. It looked more like it hit him in the shoulder. What really did the damage and KOed Jardine (and knocked his mouthpiece out in the process) was an uppercut landed right under his chin immediately after the knee. After that uppercut, Jardine was -out-.

So while the knee was illegal, it didn't look like to me like it was the final decisive blow..

19. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

that's good to hear. i like Keith Jardine... i think he's got a pretty good attitude. I gained a lot of respect for him after beating Forrest a few ufc's ago. I would have hated to see him lose over something stupid like that.

20. wimic macrumors regular

wimic

As an aside...

Did anyone catch that special that aired on Spike about a month ago - "Dana vs. Tito"?

I don't think I've ever been so pissed. I watched the hour-long show in anticipation of the fight and it didn't happen first nor last. Why the hell would they make a stupid show about how they wasted their time planning and preparing for a fight that didn't even happen? To waste our time too?

Personally, I think that the motive behind airing that special was very political. I think Dana just wanted to prove something to everyone about Tito... even though they're on "good terms" now. The whole tone of the show was "Tito's a P*ssy". Personally I think there's more to the story than that.

21. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

I don't think it was such an upset. Gonzaga is good.. just seems nobody knew much about him before that fight I guess :p

22. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I watch it, but sometimes I don't know what's going on. I think I mostly watch it because the guys are really hot. Haha. I more like the tapout style documentaries about their training and lifestyle. It's cool to learn about their backstory and way they live and train!

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

UFC fan since the start. Still remember watching UFC I and thinking, "Whoa, this is cool s%^t!" :D My friends and I ordered the PPVs every few months and I still remember questioning the change from the tournament format back around UFC 18 - but obviously it was all for the best! I'm glad Zuffa took over from SEG and kept UFC alive - I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my UFC today! ;)

Enjoyed all the fights in UFC 71 - they were all solid. Looking forward to seeing Ace again in N. Ireland next month and then the line-up for Stacked is, well, stacked. :D :cool:

24. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

Yah I love UFC I can't believe Chuck got knocked out my Jackson in like 1 min. Chuck is still da man

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

A man, yes. The champion? No. :p ;)