Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I don't wish that. I'm 48 and appreciate my old stuff I had as a kid and growing up. Kids today are entitled and ignorant - they just expect things to work. They don't have same appreciation for it as you or I do probably do.

It's all a matter of perspective. Our parents are probably amazed we were able to change the TV channel without getting off the couch.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It's all a matter of perspective. Our parents are probably amazed we were able to change the TV channel without getting off the couch.
My grandma was relatively young when colored TV and remotes became the norm so she views those as normal but she thinks having a TV in every room is the height of luxury. However, she was already 87 when smartphones and tablets gained popularity so those are sci-fi to her.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The iPad 2 was my second Apple purchase (bought a 5th gen Nano in early 2010) in 2011.

Waited 5 more years...when Apple finally released an iPhone with 2gb ram - the 6s - before I got my first smartphone.

For me, the iPad is the more indispensable of the two.

Even though I'm on my 6s more (counted by total minutes per day) over the iPad, I could use an Android phone if need be. (In fact, I'm contemplating a S8 come September 2017 over another iPhone).

But using an Android tablet is a much bigger compromise and one which I would be reluctant to make. Love the open file system of Android, but one app that I gotta have is not offered on Android.

Last edited:

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I am 70 and didnt grow up with anything more technical than a tv. Always being an avid reader, back in about 2009, I began to hear many talking about reading their books on a Kindle. By the time I bought an ebook reader, I thought maybe I would be happy with an iPad. Bought an iPad 2 at Walmart in 2010, started trying to set it up and first of all, there were screens that started asking me to select this and that and what the heck do I need an AppleID for, what is that and Safari, OMG, never heard of that. I have just paid $500 for a white elephant I wont know how to use (remember my age). I boxed it up and took it back to Walmart and told them I couldnt figure it out.
So a few more months passed, I heard many talking about the ipad, found out Safari was a browser sorta like Explorer on my PC. So I bought another, it was easy to setup when I made up my mind to, and quickly fell in love with it. Today I have a 9.7" iPad Pro, a 2015 MBP and an iPhone 7 plus and being retired, use that ipad all day long.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I am 70 and didnt grow up with anything more technical than a tv. Always being an avid reader, back in about 2009, I began to hear many talking about reading their books on a Kindle. By the time I bought an ebook reader, I thought maybe I would be happy with an iPad. Bought an iPad 2 at Walmart in 2010, started trying to set it up and first of all, there were screens that started asking me to select this and that and what the heck do I need an AppleID for, what is that and Safari, OMG, never heard of that. I have just paid $500 for a white elephant I wont know how to use (remember my age). I boxed it up and took it back to Walmart and told them I couldnt figure it out.
So a few more months passed, I heard many talking about the ipad, found out Safari was a browser sorta like Explorer on my PC. So I bought another, it was easy to setup when I made up my mind to, and quickly fell in love with it. Today I have a 9.7" iPad Pro, a 2015 MBP and an iPhone 7 plus and being retired, use that ipad all day long.

There's no way you bought an iPad 2 in 2010.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I'm 70, memory isnt what it used to be!;) It could have been 2011, IDK, it doesnt make any difference, the story of my first ipad remains the same. I started with an ipad 2, upgraded to a 4 and now have the IPP 9.7".

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
First Apple product was a refurbished iPad 2. Still running fine on 7.1.2 as secondary iPad in the house for everybodies use. Meanwhile added: iPad Air for me, iPad mini for the wife, Mac mini, ATV3, Time Capsule, iPHone 5c for younger daughter and iPHone SE for older technophile son. iPad did an excellent job to introduce us to Apple. No regrets, all working fine.

Reactions: masotime

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
The original iPad in 2010 was my first Apple product with the minor exception of an iPod nano that I only bought because my car had the input. My job provided an iPhone 4 not too long after I bought the iPad.

I was a Commodore 64 enthusiast in the 80s, and migrated to DOS, then Windows. My first Apple computer was a 2013 MacBook Air. I still use Mac and Windows today - each has clear advantages and disadvantages IMO. I feel the same way about Android, but it's not practical or cost-effective to use two phones so I settled on iPhone.

iPad (now 12.9" iPad Pro) remains my favorite Apple device, and maybe my favorite technology device period.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
iPad Pro 10.5 was my first, bought two years ago, then replaced with another one under warranty due to white spot issues and it went on sale immediately after that.
Was impressed and still am at how good it was and felt, that is, aside from the white spot issue ignorance on Apples side.
Due to app quality and wide variety I started considering an iPhone, my gf is still rocking her iPhone 5, two screens and one battery later its still her phone which she doesnt even want to upgrade, but some apps are not working anymore or simply not available, such as banking, its in its eight year.
iPhone Mini came out, while not perfect, its the smallest flagship phone there is and I was fed up with my Galaxy S8 sticking out from pockets+frequent and regular OS updates means that it will work for years to come. Now Samsung have upped their game with OS upgrades as well, but until compact flip/roll/foldable phones with flagship level dip below 800$, I probably wont be getting new phone anytime soon.

mikiee

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2020
Got my first Apple product, an iPad 8 last November. Was strictly an Android person before. Still use an android phone. My only complaint............you can't import favorites into Safari without a convoluted work around. Installed Chrome and haven't looked back.

Reactions: VaruLV

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
My first Apple device was the IPad 1...and that was a gift from my girlfriend who knew I like tech stuff but hated Apple phones...I used to buy the unlocked Nokia phones aka N95 etc...and did some programming and messing with them and thought Apple was for kids basically.
One day she came home and had the new iPad 1 and gave it me and said look it’s not a phone so try it and see what you think. Well, I did and the more I used it the more I liked it, so by the time the 4s was released I decided to jump ship from Nokia and get the 4s my first iPhone and not long after became the guy who people came to for help with them instead of unlocked phones.

That’s how I started using Apple products and still credit the iPad to converting me as I would not have otherwise but the fact they sent info back and forth I got the iPhone as well. In fact I still have the iPad grandfathered data plan from then still.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I am just curious and interested if there are people here who came into the Apple sphere due to the iPad?
Please share your experience!

For me the original iPad was the first device I bought with my own money, and the first device that welcomed me to the Apple world. At that time, the iPhone was too expensive for me, and Macs have not piqued much of my interest because of the high entry price too.

However the iPad was really the first ever gadget that had me. It was the magic that I saw and wanted, nothing less. In addition, that iPad had a low entry price of $499. Steve Jobs said at that time, "We want everybody to have it".

I am not sure if the iPad of today is what Steve Jobs envisioned. I believe when he said, "we want everybody to have it," he meant that he would probably still be selling the most advanced iPad at a $499 price point to really push the market. I also remember how the iPad launched and came with great apps from the start, and it was a surprise hit even for Apple's expectations.

The iPad is still the Apple device I have the most affection for.

iPod Mini and iPod Nano Color

then

iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s

those we’re my 4 first “Apple” Products Ever.

I was gifted an iMac G3 Bondi Blue in 1999 when I started High school but I never liked it since I was a PC and PS2 Gamer It never got much use. It’s still in Mint condition in its mint condition box.

Cstretten

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2021
This new iPad is my first apple product (well - technically no - I did win an Apple Watch a couple of years ago (was a Nike branded one) at a work Christmas raffle. I sold it in the box for cash right after. Was a pretty nice return on my raffle ticket. Now I wish I still had it - maybe this years raffle :)

My co-workers are around 50% apple users in my immediate team at work (3D Animation studio). They let me play around with their iPads and Procreate a couple years ago. I'm an artist as well, so I finally bit the bullet and decided to buy one.

My decision just happened to coincide with the new release that I didn't know was happening. Got my pre-order in the morning it opened at like 8:03 am (Eastern). Now it's arriving this Friday and I'm super stoked to get going on it.
Got my Gen 2 Pencil already, and my case/glass protector etc.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2013
IIRC, my first Apple device was the iPad 4. I bought it for the same reason as I have bought subsequent iPads since then, which is basically for reading my work related materials and the prospect of carrying my digital library around with me on my travels. With the addition of the Pencil, my use has encompassed that too and I have benefitted by it.

i have not been and am not interested in any other Apple product and it’s very unlikely that I will will spend any money on them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.