Anyone here wish they could turn GPS off?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jan 2, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

...And still be able to get your location by cell phone towers. GPS is such a battery hog and most of the time, your general location is just fine.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Is GPS actually used by location services when it's working in the background? Then again, does location services even run in the background at all? If GPS isn't being used unless you're actively using an app that utilizes it then I really don't see the point of just turning off the GPS portion of location services.

3. Aurial macrumors 6502

A good indication would be to look at other GPS enabled devices such as satnav units and other phones. In general satnav batteries last between 2 and 4 hours when the GPS is in use, and from my experience phone batteries last about 2 to 3.

If the iPhone was using it's GPS all the time we'd see similar battery life.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What I meant about my post is... I want GPS off when using Maps.app, but I would still like my location being found using cell phone tower triangulation. That's all. I hate that my battery drains so fast if I have to use Maps. This was better on the original iPhone.

5. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I know what you mean. Most of the time, when I do the locate me thing it finds me with the cell towers and then I have the choice to let it be more accurate or not. Personally I think the GPS is not such a battery hog compared to the rest of my iPhone 3G setup. (I have the phone brightness set to max, push notifications, wifi always on and the iPhone constantly switching between GSM and 3G mode in my house.)

6. firewood macrumors 604

Yes. Apple apps, such as Maps, can and do run in the background for some period of time after locking the screen (dark), and possibly even going back to the app directory.

To make sure the Map app has really quit, start another app which uses a lot of memory (a big game), and then force quit it to make that sure no app is running.