Anyone Holding off iOS5 for a JB

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Wicked1, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am wondering to those like me who are on 4.3.3 and JB'n if you are going to wait to upgrade. I am not even sure there will eventually be a JB for 5 ever since the jailbreakme.com developer went to Apple.

Anyone try with a Dev version of iOS5 ?

2. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

still debating that one truly...was so tempted to load the GM today but decided to wait it out a week

I only JB for theme tweaking and a few tweaks like lockinfo (now in iOS 5) and pandora unlimited skips

im leaning towards giving up my themes for iOS 5

3. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

As much as it pains me, I'm waiting. I just can't give up my tweaks to 4.3.3. So many used every time I touch the phone. I simply will not give up the short list of MUST HAVES for me:

SBSettings
    SBSchedule
    Activator
    iRealSMS
    ActionMenu
    Folder Icons
    Infinifolders
    SwitcherMod

and of course I'd miss my themes quite a bit.

4. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

No, I will do without until I can jailbreak untethered under ios5 on my 4. I will miss SBsettings dearly.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

6. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Leave biteSMS, SBSettings, FolderEnhancer, iBlacklist, iFile, and MusicControlsPro? You're kidding, right? Not touching iOS5 for the phone until there's an untethered JB and *most* of my tweaks are updated. There's nothing tempting enough in 5 to make me switch.

I *might* add it to the iPad (1) and go tethered there. But the phone, no way.

7. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Same. I wish I had another device to try it on, but alas, I will wait until the time is right.

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I wish I could resist, but I am sure I will end up installing it. The only reason I might not is because I hope to get the 4S next Friday anyway.

9. LostParadox macrumors member

since i have yet to Jailbreak my iPhone 4 and its on 4.2.10 i've decided to go ahead and install the iOS 5 GM to try it out. There is no untethered JB for 4.2.10 it seems like i have little to loose

10. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Got iOS 5 GM loaded.

Miss biteSMS and SBSettings terribly.

Miss a few other tweaks a little bit, but living without those two are brutal.

Isn't there a tethered version of the JB?

iOS 5 is sweet though. Notification Center, LockScreen Notifications, improved calendar, and everything else. Very nice.

11. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i was under the impression that a tethered jailbreak is already available?

12. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

It is. I jailbreak mine and Cydia was installed.

And the obvious issue that I figured would be the case is that most of the tweaks are not updated for iOS 5.

Case in point: SBSettings just put my iPhone on an infinite blank Apple screen. Left it their for over 20 and didn't come back.

Restore time.

Thinking about giving it one more whirl, though to see if biteSMS works.

If you do try it, follow MuscleNerd's information: http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd

13. BlaZeR420 macrumors member

Waiting till JB and all the bugs are worked out.

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Me. I'm updating my ipad2 so i can message but I'm not updating ip4 until there's a jailbreak.

15. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Funny, I'm running SBSettings (it's iOS 5 compatible) and the biteSMS 6 Beta 5 (pretty stable and usable).

Are they 110% compatible? No, but they are almost there ... and they are available.

16. Theraker007 macrumors regular

pretty much everything i jailbreak my iphone for now is in iOS5.. I see little reason to wait.

17. iPagan macrumors regular

I typed a long post, but my browser crashed.

Bottom line: SBSettings(3.3.1) did NOT work for me. It messed up my iOS 5.0 GM JB. I had to re-restore.

Some details of SBSettings not working with iOS 5.0 GM:

1. Upon a reboot, I was greeted with the message that the OS is too new, and some functions of Activator are not working.

2. Screen is locked in portrait mode.

3. When I launch an app, it immediately shrinks to a small window. Later, I ralized that it was the window of SBSettings. That small window of SBSettings works, but any other app, no. You touch it, it's not responsive.

4. App icons are smaller than usual. They are scattered 4x4 on the spring board, leaving huge spaces between app icons, making the screen look like a piece of Swiss cheese.

This was on my 1st gen iPad.

I have since restored and re-JBed. I did not install SBSettings this round, but installed MyWi and 3G Unrestricter. So far, everything is fine.

18. HellKatzX macrumors member

I was also very tempted to install the GM last night, but I decided to wait until next week when iCloud is up and running also, it's something to look forward to at least

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Right, so the problem is Activator, not SBSettings.

If you experience that quarter screen sized issue, then just go into safe mode and come out.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I like having an unlockable phone. I won't be able to consider buying a new, factory unlocked phone this year, so I have to hold on with a software unlock.
    So yeah, will only be upgrading with the help of pwnage.

21. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Might give it another try if bite is working that well.

22. Mess macrumors 6502

Mess

I used the tethered JB last night. Worked flawlessly. Got everything I need already on the phone.

I never use SBsettings as they just drain the battery instead of saving it so thats not a miss. The tethered boot is nice and easy in the new redsnow too :cool:

This guide will take you through it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_WMqIOnmoI&feature=share

23. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

im on 4.3.3 on my iphone4 but i ll wait til its untehered jb for ios 5 :p

24. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yep waiting Probably a month maybe two before I install 5.0. Depending on how fast the jb community updates to 5.0.

25. iPagan macrumors regular

I know I could Google, but very quickly, how do you get into safe mode? :)

I guess, once you are in safe mode, you could delete Activator, or maybe SBSetiings entirely?

Thanks!

PS: I want to add that iBooks and Google Books crash in the JBed iOS 5.0 GM. Prior to JB, only Google Books crashed, iBooks worked.