Anyone holding out for a better dongle?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Eggtastic, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

So I just picked up a 2016 m5 MacBook. I love this thing. Right now I have it sitting side by side to my 2011 11" MBA and its neat to compare both.

I now took to amazon to see what my options were for a dongle. I notice there really isn't anything that gets great reviews, and it appears apples is the way to go. However I rather buy a non-apple one where I get more for my money (more ports).

I noticed that there really isn't anything that wows anyone. There is always some sort of compromise. My uses right are minimal (No external screen, maybe use 1 USB). However in the future I may go with a dock set up where i have an external screen and what not. This is what is preventing me from buying a hub now, when better and more refined ones will be coming out in the near future.

I went with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z7XE0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I needed something quick because I need to do migration from my air so I can sell it soon (hoping the holidays bring some extra attention to CL and Letgo).

Yes, I have been on the sticky for the usb-c threat and right now I may hold off. Anyone else in the same boat and does anyone know of any coming out soon?

Thanks,
    Eggs

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

3. ahendarman macrumors member

ahendarman

4. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

5. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I did look into hootoo. I just feel the prices are insane and hope that something better, more solid is developed and that the price will come down.

6. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

I'm sure prices will continue to come down as more devices move to USB C. It's already becoming a common feature in PC laptops as well. At work we bought 3 of the hootoo adapters to go with the new Dell XPS 13 laptops we purchased for secretaries so they could have a docking station.

7. SumNextGai macrumors newbie

I use Apple's official type-c adapter with HDMI, works a lot better than the cheap one that I bought for $16 CAD. The previous type-c adapter uses VGA to connect to my monitor... Which it did but after a few minutes, the resolution kept changing down to like 1024x768 with black bars on the side or something similar on my 1080p monitor.

I took advantage of the "sale" from Apple and went ahead and purchased their adapter, works well for the most part, able to keep my 1080p resolution but there is flickering (about 2 seconds long) from when the computer wakes up, it does this a few times then goes away until the next wake-from-sleep. Doesn't bother me as much since it does go away after 2-3 times, it shouldn't have this issue from the first place.

8. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

9. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Stop resisting. Just get the Apple adapter already. These third party ones are weak at best.

BJ

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

For compatibility stick with Apple. What is disappointing is that Apple have not produced a full size desktop dock, especially now the 2016 is all USB C

Q-6

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Note that the Apple adaptor has a two star review average on Apple's website, and hundreds of complaints about it. That's because it's terrible - it has significant issues with HDMI in particular.

12. Queen6, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sadly I don't think it grit much better else where, all in all, dongles with "logic" onboard are often troublesome.

Q-6

13. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Perhaps some kickstarter types are writing negative reviews, you know, because it's what they need to do.

What I can tell you from 18 months of personal experience is that my RMB via dozens of different HDMI cables connected to dozens of different HDTV's for dozens of executive presentations in boardrooms and dozens of Netflix sessions in hotel rooms in North America, Europe, Asia, and South America have worked flawlessly, every time.

BJ

14. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

Thanks for all the replies. Eventually I may just go with the tried and true apple dongle, but for now I have no need. I was just curious as what to go with when that time comes.

15. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I use the Apple HDMI / USB with power passthrough, seems to work well, note, because it has logic board on it, there is a warning about power drain while connected to battery.

16. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Lol. Sometimes you're like a parody. I've been through four. I've had upper tiers of Apple support tell me that the product is not considered usable at the moment. And all you've got is a tin foil hat conspiracy about negative reviews instead of the much more likely scenario that it just only works intermittently and that product hasn't hit you.

17. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

Reject all FUD! USB-C is a standard
    But this was not everyone's experience. They even had to push out a firmware update to solve a ton of compatibility issues last spring. The apple dongle is more expensive and lacks many of the features present in the 3rd party alternatives. Not every USB-C adapter is a Kickstarter project either. USB-C is a standard that other manufacturers are adopting. No one's begging for an Apple brand thumb drive or HDMI cable so why should we only limit ourselves to Apple branded adapters for a non-proprietary standard?

18. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I have to admit I've hardly used the Minix one I picked up, but when it's been needed it's worked flawlessly. I like the fact I just need that one for HDMI, USB-A and Ethernet, which covers everything for me. That said, the world is becoming more wireless :D

19. anon08 macrumors member

anon08

Can I get the apple one and then plug a USB A hub into the USB port? I need more than one USB port.

20. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

21. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

I have an OWC dock at home when I want to use Ethernet and external monitor. I used the Apple USB-C multi port adapter, and USB-Ethernet adapter for a while also when I traveled - never failed me or had any problems. I started using a HooToo Shuttle a few weeks back since it has additional USB ports, and its been flawless as well.

We purchased a couple rMB's for some exec's at my job, and the only time that the Apple adapters failed is when I tried to netboot to push our corporate image to the machines. It just wouldnt work. On a whim, I brought in my Hootoo Shuttle, and it netbooted with no problem and I was able to push our image.

22. evec, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016

evec macrumors regular

Get Apple Official HDMI Multipart adaptor or/and USB-C to USB-A, don't waste any money on 3rd party.
    Even, now you can use the adaptor, it may stop working when you upgrade the OS to latest version.

Yes, USB-C is a open standard, but many adaptors in the market don't fully meet the standard because technical (is actually designed by china small company)/ marketing (get out of spec function)/ economic (keep it cheap).

23. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

what's your point, really? some of us are using 3rd-party adapters without issue; check amazon, there are some with 4, or 4 1/2 star reviews; we're not the only ones using these. i have a hub that: powers my macbook, and gives me 3 usb3 ports. and it works, it's small, mobile... even has a cool blue light. what more could one ask for?

24. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

Well, considering I am running Windows 10 via Boot Camp exclusively and have nothing to do with OSX, perhaps that's why I'm having a strong USB-C adapter experience. Perhaps the problem is with Apple's OS working poorly with Apple's adapter.

BJ

25. lite426 macrumors regular

Yes you can.