Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
I was about to pull the trigger and get the new M1 MBP and then read the article that there is a likely design refresh mid 2021. Now I'm considering if I should go with the new M1 air for the time being. I'd hate to buy a MBP now and have a design refresh in 7 months from now.

Anyone in the same boat? What do you think?

Reactions: Laborat

Nightfury326

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
I need the ports on both sides. I still priced out an M1 Air and M1 Pro with the specs I want just for the sake of knowing how much it would cost.

So yeah. My current machine still works- and generally the same design as the new ones. (not counting the Touch Bar)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There are always forum members set on chasing the latest upcoming tech, and trying to time their purchase just right. They are happy with their latest purchase until they read rumors about a possible upgrade in area x.y, or z and then they are mad they didn’t wait longer. The mindset doesn’t make much sense. It is only found on tech obsessed sites like this. The average consumer doesn’t spend their time obsessing over tech and basing life decisions on tech rumors.

oceanman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
There are always forum members set on chasing the latest upcoming tech, and trying to time their purchase just right. They are happy with their latest purchase until they read rumors about a possible upgrade in area x.y, or z and then they are mad they didn’t wait longer. The mindset doesn’t make much sense. It is only found on tech obsessed sites like this. The average consumer doesn’t spend their time obsessing over tech and basing life decisions on tech rumors.
Sure if you like vanilla ice cream then go ahead apple rob

Id' love to get the latest design refresh once it comes out :)

Reactions: Nightfury326

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I was about to pull the trigger and get the new M1 MBP and then read the article that there is a likely design refresh mid 2021. Now I'm considering if I should go with the new M1 air for the time being. I'd hate to buy a MBP now and have a design refresh in 7 months from now.

The thing about design refreshes, ESPECIALLY when it comes to iPhones, iPads, or MacBooks (be they Pro, Air, or otherwise) is that the first model of the redesign usually brings with it some trouble. The awesome thing about the M1 version of the 2-port 13" MacBook Pro is that it's virtually unchanged otherwise from its 8th Gen Intel predecessor, save for the fact that the SoC sips power and the fan hardly needs to run. The rest is really on macOS for Apple Silicon. It's a body style that isn't new, but that's a positive on the side of reliability. A new redesign may be splashy and have its own pizazz factor going for it, but reliability has a potential to suffer, especially if Apple is not conservative with what it changes.

Do remember that the 2016 and 2017 13" MacBook Pros (both 2 and 4 port variants) had Flexgate. Do remember that the first Mid 2012 (and Early 2013) 15" Retina MacBook Pro had a GPU that, while being fine in the thermal envelope of the non-retina variant, had recurring issues that never fully resolved even after a main logic board replacement.

I love reading about and geeking out over redesigned Apple products and then am happily reminded that it's a bad idea to buy one (assuming I'm not one of those people that just buys and sells tech every refresh cycle).

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009

This is a computer, not an iPhone. Macs aren’t typically upgraded every year for the latest and greatest which is why this is irrelevant for most
If you have the need for a computer to do work now then why hold out only for a redesign. I upgraded a 2015 RMBP because I needed to, I could not care less about what a potential late 2021 redesign could look like.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
This is a computer, not an iPhone. Macs aren’t typically upgraded every year for the latest and greatest which is why this is irrelevant for most
If you have the need for a computer to do work now then why hold out only for a redesign. I upgraded a 2015 RMBP because I needed to, I could not care less about what a potential late 2021 redesign could look like.

If you need to upgrade to do work, then there is little choice but to do so, but if you just want the latest designs then it is fine to wait.

oceanman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020

Really? Isn't the bliss of the shiny object easily going to outdo having a stable machine to get work done?

But seriously, what you're saying is true. At the same time tho, having the latest shiny object to work with is a joy in itself. It's just one of those things to enjoy while getting work done.

Part of being an apple user is the user experience, which in my humble opinion also includes the form factor and design.

Reactions: richinaus

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I believe the current 13" MBP M1 will become the lower-end in the pro line, with the 'redesigned' model (14"?) becoming the higher-end.

Apple has used this approach several times, so it makes sense from a business perspective. After all the current chassis is fine for its purpose, so there's a justification for pricing the 14" model higher with its more expensive upgrades.

I'm holding out for this new model because I feel that mini-LED will have a big impact on my graphic design/photography work; I need multi-display support; and I can't say no to a lighter/thinner design if it's the case!

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Well, function over form, but only to a point. As noted, there is a joy in a fresh design.

But also the new products and new designs often offer marvelous new functionality... think MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, 12” MacBook at only 2 pounds, etc.

I can readily see and support someone's desire to hold off for now in the chance that a 12” or 14” M1 new Mac is coming. That could provide significant gains in portability or screen real estate — perhaps improved camera, Face ID (for those who want it), etc. Or, others want an M2 or whatever it would be in a 16” or higher-end 13” MBP.

As to brand new product and designs... Sometimes, as with the first year of a new car model, there can be problems. On the other hand, that can happen with refreshes, too. Plus, some new products or designs are fantastic! The original iPad was brand new and we had no issues with it. The MacBook Air was great for many. Many still delight in the 11” Air.

oceanman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2020
On a side note, The MBA is recently been refreshed right from a material perspective. The redesign for next year most likely won't apply to the MBA am I correct?

Jouls

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2020
Absolutely legit to wait for a redesign. Since I didn’t like the white plastic iMac I waited for a redesign and got the first aluminium iMac in 2007. That became my most beloved Mac I ever owned (Mac user since 1994). And no issues with it whatsoever. Served me well for 8 years.
Same with my first iPhone: I didn’t like the original design so I waited until the iPhone 4 was released. Here I needed a replacement after a couple of months. Not antennagate but a graphics issue.

Obviously I didn’t need the devices at short notice and could wait. But for me the wait was worth it.

RigSatMe

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019

If your wanna grab it, go ahead, don’t hesitate. In 7 months, you will easily trade it for M2. Just buy standard specification, ‘cause built to order always difficult to trade with margin you paid initially.

trailmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
I've been seduced by the M1 MBA 16Gb and have one on its way. I don't need it, but I'd like it and it will improve elements of my workflow. Sure, I'd like to hold off for mid-2021 but I really want to scratch the 1st gen itch.

Also, I dislike selling expensive items on eBay and certain other places due to scammers and idiots. So I've got it in my head that if I like the refresh enough I may trade in my M1 to Apple and take the hit of a couple of hundred quid or so.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Id' love to get the latest design refresh once it comes out

See I view that differently. I view that as risky. The form factor, keyboards, screens etc of these current models are battle-tested and known to be reliable.

It's like when Apple switched over to the butterfly keyboard. Those folks were stoked initially to have the latest and greatest tech, until they weren't. Or the Touch Bar. or <insert latest Apple solution to a problem no one had>.

digitalbreak

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016

What sort of design improvements you think you will miss if you buy a M1 now? Just the external chassis design?

Mr Screech

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2018
Probably.
The current M1 MBP feels out of place when the Air has exactly the same chip.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Nope. Apple just put my 2014 iMac on the vintage product list so now was a good time to jump in. Got the MacBook Pro 16/1tb m1 happy. Got plenty of free time working from home now so it was a good time to upgrade.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

fixmdude

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
M1 is impressive but one caveat, it's only being placed into small mobile devices so far. People speculate that it might be in iMacs by 1st or 2nd quarter '21 but when I looked into getting a Mac Mini M1 and adding an external graphics card enclosure I found that the M1 chip does not support discrete graphics cards, possibly due to its all-in-one chip design with graphics built in. This may hinder placing it into an iMac or higher. I'd like to gather thoughts from others on this. 1) Will iMacs continue to avoid the M1 so that it can keep discrete graphics? Meaning that the recent 27" revision is what to get instead of waiting. 2) Will Apple make the M1 work with discrete graphics in the future and that additional process is why there is a delay placing M1 in higher end devices? Meaning it's better to wait and get an M1 iMac. 3) Will Apple wait until a future M2 or M3 chip which improves the built-in graphics further so that it can compete with current discrete graphics card offerings in the iMac? There are rumors on other things but not much info on how M1 will fit into non-mobile devices. Maybe the M1 stands for Mobile1 and there is a future P1 (Pro1?) chip to come out still which supports discrete graphics or has more powerful built-in graphics.
I know this thread is about MBP but doesn't that also have discrete graphics so the same thing applies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.