Anyone hoping for an oled display on the next iPads?

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
hey guys! I have the apple watch, which has an oled display, and I was wondering if anyone is hoping/expecting the next iPads to have oled screens? The screen on the AW is gorgeous! The blacks look like ink and the other colors look very vibrant. So, is anyone wanting an oled display on an Ipad? Maybe even in an iPhone too.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
hey guys! I have the apple watch, which has an oled display, and I was wondering if anyone is hoping/expecting the next iPads to have oled screens? The screen on the AW is gorgeous! The blacks look like ink and the other colors look very vibrant. So, is anyone wanting an oled display on an Ipad? Maybe even in an iPhone too.
Don't know how much better than a Retina it could be

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
It sure would be nice to see it on the iPhone 6s :)

But for iPads, it's quite possible we'll have to wait another year.

EsbenJohnson

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2015
I really hope, there will be Oled-displayes on both the new iphones and the new iPad(s).. I hate watching movies in the night, you get blinded by the black bezels over and under the movie. It sucks. Im all in for the oled technology.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
That was in 2013. We're 2 years later now. Lots of things happened. Hell, if Tim didn't like OLEDs we wouldn't see them in the Watch.
2013... That was back when :apple: hated large smartphones ;) ;)

OLED is much better than it was in 2013. It has matured enough that I hope to see it on future iPhones and iPads.

Reactions: Darrensk8

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Honestly, I would prefer a digitizing layer in the display for true stylus support, though I do agree OLED would be nice. Overall, I think the hardware on the iPads has about reached maturity. Apple desperately needs to catch up on the software side of things. So much untapped potential there.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'm not much interested in OLED. There are still questions about the lifetime of this technology. The different colors have been known to age differently. It works OK for something like the Watch which is only on for a short time per day. I'd worry about something like the iPad which may be on for hours per day.

OLED may eventually be used in the iPad. I'm happy to wait.

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys! These are a lot of great reasons why or why not the next iPads or iPhones should have oled displays. I didn't know that the colors decay! Maybe there will be some new technology to stop or slow this process.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No thanks have one on my tab s and yes straight on it looks nice. Throw it at a slight angle and the screen looks waff

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 21, 2013
No thanks have one on my tab s and yes straight on it looks nice. Throw it at a slight angle and the screen looks waff
Yeah I forgot that the viewing angles aren't as great as LED. But again, I haven't had that problem with my Apple Watch

s2mikey

macrumors 68020
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
The display is the last thing Apple needs to worry about regarding the iPad line. Retina is great and works well for this sized device. OLED will just add cost and who knows what other issues it could cause. So, nah, let OLED keep trying to infiltrate the TV market and leave tablets alone.

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Folks, there seems to be some confusion here around the term Retina display. Retina is an Apple marketing term that refers to the pixel density of a screen. Specifically, any display where a person with normal vision cannot distinguish the individual pixels at a normal viewing distance is termed a Retina display. This has nothing to do with the display technology being used. The Apple Watch uses an OLED display while all iPhones, iPads, and Macs use LCD displays. All are considered Retina screens (or have Retina versions available).

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Folks, there seems to be some confusion here around the term Retina display. Retina is an Apple marketing term that refers to the pixel density of a screen. Specifically, any display where a person with normal vision cannot distinguish the individual pixels at a normal viewing distance is termed a Retina display. This has nothing to do with the display technology being used. The Apple Watch uses an OLED display while all iPhones, iPads, and Macs use LCD displays. All are considered Retina screens (or have Retina versions available).
Yeah, it's the same confusion as LED vs LCD in TVs. Both are LCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.