Anyone hoping for an oled display on the next iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trickhot3102, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

hey guys! I have the apple watch, which has an oled display, and I was wondering if anyone is hoping/expecting the next iPads to have oled screens? The screen on the AW is gorgeous! The blacks look like ink and the other colors look very vibrant. So, is anyone wanting an oled display on an Ipad? Maybe even in an iPhone too.

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Don't know how much better than a Retina it could be

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It sure would be nice to see it on the iPhone 6s :)

But for iPads, it's quite possible we'll have to wait another year.

4. technofunky, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

technofunky macrumors member

technofunky

5. EsbenJohnson macrumors member

I really hope, there will be Oled-displayes on both the new iphones and the new iPad(s).. I hate watching movies in the night, you get blinded by the black bezels over and under the movie. It sucks. Im all in for the oled technology.

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

2013... That was back when :apple: hated large smartphones ;) ;)

OLED is much better than it was in 2013. It has matured enough that I hope to see it on future iPhones and iPads.

8. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Honestly, I would prefer a digitizing layer in the display for true stylus support, though I do agree OLED would be nice. Overall, I think the hardware on the iPads has about reached maturity. Apple desperately needs to catch up on the software side of things. So much untapped potential there.

9. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I'm not much interested in OLED. There are still questions about the lifetime of this technology. The different colors have been known to age differently. It works OK for something like the Watch which is only on for a short time per day. I'd worry about something like the iPad which may be on for hours per day.

OLED may eventually be used in the iPad. I'm happy to wait.

10. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Hey guys! These are a lot of great reasons why or why not the next iPads or iPhones should have oled displays. I didn't know that the colors decay! Maybe there will be some new technology to stop or slow this process.

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No thanks have one on my tab s and yes straight on it looks nice. Throw it at a slight angle and the screen looks waff

12. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Yeah I forgot that the viewing angles aren't as great as LED. But again, I haven't had that problem with my Apple Watch

13. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

The display is the last thing Apple needs to worry about regarding the iPad line. Retina is great and works well for this sized device. OLED will just add cost and who knows what other issues it could cause. So, nah, let OLED keep trying to infiltrate the TV market and leave tablets alone.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

15. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

I love using my iPad outside, and it's great even in direct sunlight. AMOLED will ruin that.

16. david91 macrumors regular

what is the difference between the oled and the retina display?

17. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Folks, there seems to be some confusion here around the term Retina display. Retina is an Apple marketing term that refers to the pixel density of a screen. Specifically, any display where a person with normal vision cannot distinguish the individual pixels at a normal viewing distance is termed a Retina display. This has nothing to do with the display technology being used. The Apple Watch uses an OLED display while all iPhones, iPads, and Macs use LCD displays. All are considered Retina screens (or have Retina versions available).

18. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's the same confusion as LED vs LCD in TVs. Both are LCD.