iPod Anyone in here got a VW with iPod connectivity?

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I bought a 2006 Jetta today. I thought they came iPod compatible, but when I asked my salesman about it he looked at me like I had two heads.

I found this, but it's not very specific as to which models it works with.
http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?product_id=3248
My Jetta has the 6-CD changer, and it came with XM. Any VW/Jetta owners have this? I'm assuming I'll have to have the XM disconnected for the iPod connector to work, assuming it'll work with my car. Anyone have experience with this?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I thought 2005 and newer VWs had an aux-in (Standard Mini-plug) port. Feel under the AC control section and see if there is a plug there. You should be able to just run a standard Miniplug cable and connect to the AUX. You'll still have to control the music on the iPod, though. I believe the Kit you mention will work, but you may have to disconnect the XM..not sure.

Don't ask the Salesman about it...Ask the parts department guys..

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
MattG said:
I bought a 2006 Jetta today. I thought they came iPod compatible, but when I asked my salesman about it he looked at me like I had two heads.

I found this, but it's not very specific as to which models it works with.
http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?product_id=3248
My Jetta has the 6-CD changer, and it came with XM. Any VW/Jetta owners have this? I'm assuming I'll have to have the XM disconnected for the iPod connector to work, assuming it'll work with my car. Anyone have experience with this?
I have the ipod adaptor for my Mini. The way it works in the Mini (no idea if it is the same for VW) is that it uses the input of the CD-changer. It allows you to have 5 playlists + access to the whole library, making 6 options. Thus if you have the CD changer you cant have the ipod adapter.

However, as I said, no idea if that is how it works for the VW

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I know somebody with a Beetle that runs it through the auxiliary. Just go to crutchfield.com. They tell you what to get.

PS> FM transmitters don't compare to a true connection.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
decksnap said:
I know somebody with a Beetle that runs it through the auxiliary. Just go to crutchfield.com. They tell you what to get.

PS> FM transmitters don't compare to a true connection.
I guess that can be true, but i have an itrip and it works just fine for me! But then im also half tone deaf so what do i know, haha