Anyone in Rochester NY area with iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhatz, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jhatz macrumors member

I know this is pretty exclusive but I was curious if anyone is in the Rochester NY area and how their service is. Do you have good reception in stores, malls, wegmans, walmart, etc?

I'd love to know because none of my friends have AT&T. One friend has AT&T but they have the 3GS and say it drops a ton of calls but her husband has a regular ol' AT&T phone and it never drops calls therefore, it seems like just the device itself it poor. She doesn't plan on getting the iPhone 4 so I wanted to hear from someone that has the new one and how it is.

Thanks guys and gals

2. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

3. jakeacc macrumors regular

I don't live in Rochester, but the mere mention of the name is making me salivate for a Tahoe's Garbage Plate.

4. snatefinch macrumors member

I live in Rochester, and I have the iPhone 4, and my reception is great. I had the 3GS and it was great as well. I do see some drop in bars with the grip issue, but this does not make me drop calls.

5. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

Since this area was originally served by Cingular Wireless prior to AT&T's acqusition recieption in western New York through Syracuse, Utica and on into Albany has been pretty good.

6. gnortenjones macrumors regular

I'm in Rochester, and it varies depending on what part of the city your in, but in general I think AT&T's covereage here is pretty good.

There are a few spots downtown where I've had trouble getting signals (though not since going to the I4), however Henrietta, and most of Greece, I get really good signals and download speeds.

I've never dropped a call. There are a few spots where reception can be a bit dicey, but never so bad that a call was dropped.

Typically reception indoors is pretty good, I usually have 4-5 bars, and never had problems inside malls, and restaurants, however getting a signal inside Wegman's is iffy. I've occasionally wondered if they actually designed a cell phone free zone.

Most of the time, reception is good. No real complaints.

7. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated.

Ps. It's called Stevie T's now, not Nick Tahoes:p

8. snatefinch macrumors member

The original Nick Tahoes is still around, the Lyell one was renamed to Stevie T's though.

9. nws0291 macrumors 6502

ATT was better than Sprint. All signals suffered in places like RIT's brick buildings and Wegmans etc. In general the service I had with ATT was better than Sprint. I live in South FL now and service is excellent because it's so flat.

10. Glert macrumors member

The coverage here is pretty good and data is a touch faster than Verizon from what I can tell. Wegmans is a giant metal box so the coverage in there isn't great.
    The Pittsford ATT store had some phones today, snagged a 32gb.

11. jhatz thread starter macrumors member

Oops my bad! Idk where the original one is.

I was thinking about making the jump in august when my brothers contract is up. Now there's more talk of Verizon iPhone in January: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/29/verizon-iphone-in-january-claims-bloomberg/#commentform

The only reason I'd prefer Verizon is because everyone else I know has it and most people don't have more than 500 outside carrier text so people don't really wanna text. Other than that I'd be fine with AT&T if there's good service in roc and surrounding areas.

Sighhh.

Plus, if the iPhone came to verizon, I'd want it right away and another one would launch another 4 months after? And in that case I'd be waiting a year for a iPhone:rolleyes: