Anyone installed Snow Leopard on a 32-bit Core Duo mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Karvel, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

I've got a 1.83 GHz 17" iMac and for all intents and purposes it fits the "Intel Processor" requirement for Snow Leopard but it isn't a true '64 bit' processor(?) like the later Intel chips... anyone installed the new OS on a similar machine and can report any major differences in speed (or not)?

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

my friend will be installing on his original macbook pro 1.83 Core Duo in the very near future. shouldn't be a problem though. you don't get 64 bit, but still reap many benefits of SL (grand central, etc)

4. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Er yes. I'm just curious as to the performance gains with Snow Leopard on a processor that isn't.

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I mean, you may or may not have performance gains. However, it seems for computability reasons in the future and whatnot to update to the current OS, for just $29 is a good thing to do, for most.

6. sadatkarim macrumors member

My old Core Duo MB ran Snow Leopard developer builds beautifully. (Sold it a month back for a new MBP)

7. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

im going to help my friend install it on her core duo imac tomorrow! :)

8. Karvel thread starter macrumors regular

Do report back! :)

9. cjcamilla macrumors newbie

All you need is an Intel based Mac, that's the only requirement =]

10. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I'm typing this from a Core Duo MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard installed (today's retail copy; I don't have a sufficient ADC account to have tried it in advance).

Important things are noticeably faster, irrespective of any other factor. The most obvious one is the slight delay that Leopard always had when opening a pull-down menu from the menubar. With the exception of the 'Help' menu, they're all suddenly instant.

More relevantly, I've gained an unbelievable 11.5gb (in old fashioned kilo = 1024 terms) of free disk space, which I really can't explain. This was originally a 10.4 machine, but I opted for a clean install of 10.5. I don't remember being fussy about what I installed and I'm now running without Rosetta, but nevertheless that makes a phenomenal difference on my 100gb hard drive.

At this stage mds is occupying about 45% of my CPU constantly, and the first Time Machine backup seems to be grabbing almost 11gb of stuff, so that'll be going for a while. But everything remains nice and responsive.

EDIT: and this was an in-place upgrade, by the way, not a wipe and install.

11. ervdoggie macrumors newbie

ervdoggie

MDS @ 45% of CPU

I'm considering it on my black MacBook as well. I run my business from it, as such, I live and breathe in Finder, Mail, Address Book, iCal and external drives 24/7. Those are all things that are supposed to be incredibly smoother and better with or without a 64bit processor.

I can't imagine good for battery life if the CPU is utilized that much on a constant basis. Is MDS still eating 45% of CPU? or has it settled down after a few days with the new OS?

12. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I have a 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac mini with 1GB RAM. I upgraded (not clean install) about a week or so ago. I noted some Leopard performance metrics and since then, SL hasn't come close. Launch times, at least on my machine, haven't come close to some of the huge advance some folks have had.

Having said that, I'm only gaining a second or two, which is hardly annoying and barely noticeable. Unmeasurable metrics seem to be a tad faster. Windows and menus pop. And I gained something like 11-12 GB on my hard disk, which is almost worth the cost of the upgrade right there.

At some point, I might be motivated to wipe my hard disk and reinstall. I'm not sure it's worth it.

mt