Anyone insure their MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markp99, Jun 26, 2012.

1. markp99 macrumors member

My son is travelling in Europe for a couple months; he's working on a documentary film project. He's bringing his photo equipment ($) along for personal use, director is shipping the film equipment. He's also bringing his Mac Book Pro.

He'll be staying in Hostels for portions of his stay; he's concerned about loss or theft.

We contacted our home owners insurance company. Adding a rider for his equipment was crazy cheap - $5K coverage for $58/yr for his camera. So, we also added all three of our 3 Mac Books (uBMP, rMBP, MBA) for $38/yr more. We provided receipts and serial numbers and that was it.

Covers loss, theft, damage, even abroad - no deductible.

I wonder what the the limits are on damage coverage. Anyone else INSURE their Mac Books?

2. ppone macrumors regular

What home insurance did you insurance with.

3. markp99 thread starter macrumors member

Liberty Mutual

4. Itzmemark macrumors member

WoW I will def. be calling my insurance company soon.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You don't state it but make sure it's for actual replacement value and not value at time of loss. Big difference there and doesn't matter what your coverage is.

Also be aware that it's highly likely if you file a claim you will get a surcharge next renewal period and it will also make it more expensive if you change carriers. Generally it's best to "self insure" except where the loss would be financialy catastrophic.

Remind your son that he should file a police report in the city of the loss if it happens.

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Same here. At those prices, it's hard to resist. I already have AppleCare and that would cover the rest.