Anyone interested in a Hi-def (1440 x 900) mod for MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgdosen, Oct 22, 2008.

1. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

As a background, I've modded my Merom MBP's screen based on another popular MacRumors thread to a 15" 1920x1220 res screen. In that thread there was a ton of discussion about requests for upgrading newer 15" MBPs with a high res LED screen. That was never possible because there weren't any LED screens of that size in that resolution.

With the advent of the new MBs with their 13 inch LED screen, there might be a higher res alternative for the new MBs! A 13.3 inch screen with 1440 x 900 compared to 1280 x 800 screen in the stock MB. I say this because that looks like the same 13.3 size screen used in higher res Lenovo Thinkpads.

I really like a smaller form factor notebook, and really prefer a high res screen. 1440 x 900 in a 13" laptop seems like an excellent tradeoff in my mind.

This could be the best of both worlds if someone can figure out how if that screen can be swapped, and if it's doable. Does anyone have any insight?

2. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Nobody?

Does anyone have any info on the web about removing/changing the display on one of the new MB/MBPs?

3. oncdoc macrumors newbie

The glass screen is fused to the display. I haven't seen a tear down review were anyone was successfully able to disassemble the display.

4. dgdosen thread starter macrumors 65816

dgdosen

5. oncdoc macrumors newbie

Hmmm... maybe it is possible to remove the lcd panel without destroying the computer.

Here's a tear down video which looks like they remove the glass panel...although it goes by very fast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwhhjUgbtM

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

looks liek its held on by magnets, just like the iMac.