All iPads Anyone interested in real wood iPad wraps - not typical thick pieces of veneer?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jmgregory1, Dec 5, 2013.

1. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    My company, Peeled Wood Products, has created a line of super thin, real wood, iPad (and iPhone and MacBook) wraps and although everyone we've shown samples to loves them, I'd like to get some feedback from the audience here before we start marketing them.

The pieces shown are made from real cherry wood that has never been sanded, yet is smooth to the touch, and is completely natural (no coatings). We will be offering a few different wood species, including walnut and either birch or maple.

Unlike other wood cases or panels that use common veneer with an applied two sided adhesive, then laser cut to shape, our wood is so thin it can "wrap" itself around shapes. We produce it in Wisconsin using only domestic, sustainably harvested wood. We plan to expand the offering with specialty treatments including print stains, graphics and even custom logo applications.

Using a non-permanent adhesive, they are super easy to apply (or remove). The wood does offer a level of protection to your devices, yet because it is so thin, it does not change the overall form factor of the iPad, iPhone or MacBook, the way typical wood panels do. It's more similar to the film wraps on the market, allowing us to create highly intricate cut-outs for microphones, camera lenses, buttons.

Because each piece of wood is unique in color and grain pattern, any device wrapped in our Peeled Wood will be one of a kind.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Not sure I'd want to cover up my modern piece of technology with wood but to each their own! Looks like some good work nevertheless. If I were to ever buy something like that, I'd definitely skip putting the back on. It just looks awkward to hold and looks a little tacky.

3. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

I appreciate the feedback. One of the benefits of adding wood to the iPad, iPhone or MacBook is the wood has just enough of texture that it makes it easier to hold and less slippery. Even if you're a sweaty hands kind of person, the wood will absorb the moisture and make it less likely you're iPad or iPhone will slip out of your hand.

4. meistervu macrumors 65816

While aluminum is sleek and modern thus fits the spirit of the iPad, I find it slippery and not comfortable to hold - ever driven a car with aluminum steering wheel? I thought not!

I like the feel of wood. I would pick in in a heartbeat over vinyl sticker. I think for me in a darker tone, like walnut, the look may be quite nice.

A while back I was looking at bamboo phone case by Grove. There were quite a following so apparently there is interest. But I find the added thickness too much. Your product is more appealing to me.

Good luck.

5. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Our wood was originally created for a completely different use - and my tinkering with making wood wraps goes back to the iPhone 4, given it was so slippery to hold. I'm one of those people that thinks Apple has nailed the look of the iPhone, iPad and MacBooks, but protecting it with a typical injection molded case just changes form too much, in my opinion.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

I love the look of wood. My iPhone case (Artisan K3) has a wood back that looks and feels great.

I'd like to see your back completely cover the back up to the glass. Tough to do but a much better look.

Figured woods look coolest.

7. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

The first one doesn't look bad as it covers most of the back of the iPad but the second one looks terrible with the aluminium top and bottom and the wood just slapped in the middle.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

That would wifi at the top and cellular below, I believe.

9. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Because the iPad 3/4 has the tapered back, it's tough to get the wood to stay affixed to the top and bottom tapered areas. Our wood is super compliant, and we could get it to do this, but it would require the use of a stronger adhesive that would be as easily removable.

I do agree that the look isn't right. The other thing we can do to cover the entire back is to create separate top and bottom strips so that there is wood on the entire surface.

One of the photos of an earlier prototype had the extra panels on the sides with the wood wrapping seamlessly top to bottom. Take a look also at what the MacBook Air looks like with wood top and bottom.

Attached Files:

10. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Here is the MacBook Air cover.

Attached Files:

11. donnaw macrumors 65816

That looks pretty good. I wouldn't use it because I use a case for travel but on my iPad 2 I put an iCarbon wood-looking sticker and it looked sweet. Got lots and lots of good comments. If I didn't need a case (with a stand) for travel I would certainly consider this one.

12. jmgregory1 thread starter macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

A great thing about wood is that it is transparent to radio signals. It's so thin, you can actually put the wood on the screen and you can still use the screen. Obviously it's tough to see what you're doing, the birch we have is closer to being transparent but it still blocks more than would be acceptable visually.

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

The photo of the iPad with more wood coverage of the bottom looked awesome. The MBA looks great.

Partial coverage doesn't look good I think because the abrupt transition between the aluminum and wood. I wonder how it would look if instead of a straight line, you make the transition a feature with curves instead. I may even consider cutouts instead of a solid area, maybe in shapes of trees, birds, initial, large ones.

14. kalt macrumors regular

i love wood on electronics, and Miniot makes some great wood cases/covers for apple products, though way overpriced IMO. Definitely prefer wood to leather. But it has to look right. If it just looks like stickers stuck on the device, that doesn't really appeal to me very much.