Anyone interested in Sprint's new $60/mo unlimited plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnacrumors, Aug 21, 2014.

?

Anyone interested in Sprint's new $60/mo unlimited plan?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    92.6%
  1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Just saw this in the news but no one posted about it yet:
    http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/its-a-new-day-for-unlimited-data.htm

Not sure if they still have the stupid $10/mo "premium data" charge on this plan though (effectively making this $70/mo) :confused:

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

No, because it's Sprint, masters of poor coverage and refusing to let you unlock your phone.

I won't touch them with a 5,280 foot pole. And I was even once their customer, from 2005-2009.

3. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I wouldn't consider Sprint because of its network but I'm glad T-Mobile and Spring are fighting it out because I feel like it puts pricing pressure on AT&T and Verizon (who screw people over with their absurd pricing).

:)

:apple:

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint killed the $10 Premium Data Fee when they rolled out the All-In and My Way plans in July 2013.

Those fees only apply to the old Everything Data, Fair & Flexible and SERO plans. I'm still paying it because I have two iPhones on an Everything Data 1500 plan.

I would mark yes to the poll, but because of the limitations in moving over I cannot until September.

If you are an existing customer you can move over if you are out of contract, you add a line for purposes of getting on the plan or you are eligble for an upgrade. I have neither the cash nor desire for an upgrade, I don't need and cannot afford a new line and I am one month away from being out of contract. So I have to wait.

You'll also note that existing customers can move from a family plan to these individual plans and put both lines on the same account. But to do that you have to meet the rules I named above for at least one of the lines. If you do that then those that are not otherwise eligble can also move over. However, if they are still in contract they will pay an additional $25 per month until out of contract or they upgrade.

I'll be moving to this plan when eligible and move my wife over (costing her an additional $25/month) because it will ultimately be cheaper. I will do that in late September. But some time in the new year we will be moving to T-Mobile with our tax refund.

I'm done with Sprint and it doesn't matter any more. At this point they can pay ME to stay and I wouldn't!

6. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

This is where Sprint's outdated device lockdown policies hurt them. They provide the BYOD option, but I cannot bring my unlocked iPhone (which I've had for less than a year) over to Sprint. Adding the cost of a new phone would wipe out any savings over upgrading my current T-Mobile service to an unlimited plan.

And any phone I purchase from Sprint cannot be unlocked for use on another domestic carrier. Not sure how the new unlocked phone law applies, but since it has not yet taken effect, I would not take a chance on any Sprint phone right now.

7. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Until someone can match the big two's coverage. They really won't have to make too many big changes.

They have made a couple changes, but really not anything of merit.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Would it matter if it was unlocked? Don't they use some different technology/radios?

9. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

No. I have to walk half a mile from my home to get coverage. I had Sprint for a while when I lived in a different city, and their customer service wasn't just bad; it was non-existent. It literally took me more than a year to end my service with them, because they never answered the phone and they didn't respond to mail.

10. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Agreed, but can you imagine what they'd charge if T-Mobile and Sprint weren't around? ;)

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

No.

Two Reasons:

The Network - Sprint is terrible. Even in metro areas. Delayed texts and poor data speeds. Out of all of the people I talk to on a regular basis, the ones who usually drop the most calls or have the most pathetic data speeds are my Sprint using friends.

The Phones - Their phones cannot be unlocked, have low resale value, and they're a CDMA carrier. What good is a BYOD program when unlocked phones do not work?

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I tried Sprint for a while back with the HTC Evo. It was actually a great phone at the time; loved the phone but hated the network. The only thing I hated more than the network was the "we don't give a S&^%" attitude of customer service.

I sold the phone, paid the ETF, and went right back to AT&T.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Sprint and Verizon are CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM.

You could use a Verizon iPhone on Sprint, but not an AT&T or T-Mobile phone. However, the Verizon phone might be somewhat limited because Sprint uses Band 25 (1900mhz) for LTE while Verizon uses Band 13 (700mhz). Most newer iPhones can handle multiple bands so there may be some room here to allow a Verizon iPhone to work on Sprint.

But no GSM phone will work on Sprint at all. The technology is different.

Lastly, none of this matters. Sprint has a policy never to activate any phone they did not sell or that was not intended to originally be used on the Sprint network.

----------

Maybe it's just because I am a current Sprint customer, but I saw the BYOD thing as two fold.

One, it's directed more at current customers. If you're currently off contract you can BYOD your current device into the plan. I.e., you can switch to the plan without having to upgrade.

Second, and this is where I see your comments about unlocked phones working in favor of those using BYOD. Because Sprint phones go for less, you can buy a Sprint phone for cheap and then because it's a Sprint phone get it activated on this plan.

14. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

No...because they have a terrible network and everyone I know that has Sprint has bad service.

15. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I will never switch to sprint as they are worse than all the other carriers in my area.

16. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

No, for a couple of reasons:

1) I was a satisfied customer for many years until about 2012, when their network went downhill. Got tired of ~100 kbps and constant promises that LTE was coming to my market, so I switched to TMO in early 2013.

2) TMO was much faster, but its indoor coverage was poor, and it often had only EDGE or GPRS outside of cities, so I switched to Cricket a few months ago. I pay $35 for unlimited talk and text and 500 MB of 4 Mbps service. I rarely burn through that 500 MB, but when I did, I was surprised to find that the throttled network is still fast enough for everything I do on a mobile device, even Skype.

I don't see what I'd be getting for the extra $25 -- more like $35 after taxes -- per month.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Verizon and Sprint use the SAME technology, CDMA+LTE. The phones are the SAME inside. Yet Verizon iPhones are unlocked, and Sprint phones are not. Sprint refuses to unlock phones even after you complete your contract or if you buy the phone full price.

There is NO TECHNICAL REASON why Sprint phones need to be locked. If Verizon can make a killing selling completely unlocked iPhones (UNDER CONTRACT even!!), Sprint can too. The technology is the same and the hardware is the same.

This, in my view, makes Sprint a hostile vendor and not one I want to deal with.

18. eyoungren, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This. Although, Sprint recently updated their unlock policy to make it look like it's not their fault. They place the blame entirely on the manufacturers and say that there is nothing they can do.

Which conveniently ignores that it is Sprint that had the manufacturers do this. If it truly was the manufacturers fault then this would be seen on all carriers and not just Sprint.

With the coming of the new unlock agreement and the recently passed unlock law Sprint is simply looking for an easy way to deny unlocks to everyone with a pre-January 2015 phone while taking no responsibility about their part in the whole thing.

Frankly, I'd rather Sprint had stuck with their belligerent attitude about unlocking. It's draconian and evil, but at least it was honest.

19. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Sprint service is so poor it would make no difference what they offered. If they offered to pay me I would take it though. Then I would pay my AT&T bill with that money. :D

20. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Any way to get a person under contract onto this plan? My uncle is under contract until December 2015 with Sprint but he really wants this plan. Maybe he can sign another contract early?

21. AutoUnion39, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

What's the point of unlimited data on Sprint again?

unlike the idiots on S4GRU who seem to live in some fantasy world where Sprint is a VZW/AT&T killer, I think most of us have experienced the REAL Sprint. Worthless and never working. It's always "going to get better," but never actually does...

I honestly believe my IT's dept head deserves to get fired for switching us BACK to Sprint MiFis last month. The service barely works. They need to just allow us to buy our own VZW/AT&T one and bill them directly...

22. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Well, i'm going to be the first in this long thread to say YES!

Sprint is great in my area, unlimited data can't be beat (love not watching my data usage every month and streaming like no tomorrow)

and with my 27% discount can't beat this deal!

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If your uncle is on a family plan and that plan has someone who is out of contract then that person would need to move to this plan and could bring your uncle along with them. It's an individual plan, but Sprint can put multiple individual plans on one account.

The only other options are either to upgrade (if eligible) or to add another line. If your uncle is on an individual plan already then adding a line is not an option.

And of course there is always the nuclear option. Port out to another carrier (pay the ETF) and then port back in as a new customer.

----------

Uhm…there wasn't one.:D
    Oh, I see, you were thinking that with Unlimited Data you're supposed to get some sort of coverage and speed!

My bad! Sprint doesn't offer that, but maybe in the future you can get all that as an addon to your plan. Additional charge of course though, most likely like the Premium Data Fee used to be for the plan data you were already paying for. Yeah, like that! :)

----------

Yeah…S4GRU. That's a whole other thing…

The admin really likes the new plans and since it's his site he decides what they all believe.

24. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Exactly this. Sprint can promise the Moon but until I can use my own Rocket bla bla bla and I'll be dambed if I'm gonna buy a locked rocket that can't go to Mars if I feel like it.

25. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

He's a single line user. No need for another line. The 'nuclear option' doesn't make much sense IMO. I believe his ETF would be $280. He signed a contract in December 2013. I did the math and even if he pays his ETF and signs a new contract with Sprint he'd only be saving $88 when all is said and done by December 2015. Does anybody know if this $60 plan includes international texting? I'm assuming it doesn't.

I suggested T-Mobile to him (The ETF offer). He needs international texting (free with T-Mobile) and he uses little data monthly so the $50 plan is perfect. But when I crunch all the numbers it's a savings of $240 over the next 16 months. Sure, that's nice, but he may just stay with Sprint if that's the case. He screwed up signing that contract last December.

Best case scenario is that Sprint lets him move onto the $60 plan without an ETF. He's been a long time customer with no late payments.