Anyone jailbreak 5.0.1 yet?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by likemyorbs, Nov 11, 2011.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Now that the new redsnow jailbreak is out for 5.0.1, has anyone tried it out yet? If you have, my question to you is if ibooks is working yet. That's really been bugging me.

EDIT: nevermind, i thought the new redsnow just came out today, but apparently it's been out for a few days but still works with 5.0.1. still, anyone try it yet?

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It can be done. TUAW posted an article today about it working. It's my understanding an untether will be released for 5.0 before 5.0.1. So I wouldn't rush to get on 5.0.1.

3. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I don't really care about the untether honestly. I just want to know if the tethered 5.0.1 jailbreak is working ok and if ibooks is up and running again.

4. g33 macrumors 6502

when it says booting tethered does that mean 'respring' also? as tht wud be a real pain. im still on 4.3.3 !

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no resprings are still fine to do on a tethered jb

6. Fuith macrumors member

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is a Ibook's fix in cydja you want IBook fix 2 it works on 5.0. Fixed mine 100%

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

really?? what's it called?

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

ibooks fix 2

10. Lya macrumors member

I jailbroke it yesterday. Works fine, but you must specify an IPSW every time you boot it. No big deal :eek:
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :)

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I know a bunch of people will read this thread and rush to put 5.0.1 on. If you are interested in an untether then stay on 5.0.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

All he wanted was to know if Ibooks works after jailbreak with 5.0.1. Also as I said Ibooks fix 2 and there is Ibooks fix IOS5 that fix the issue. I think he prefer to have a untethered jailbreak and stay 5.0. :D but if you want to be helpful does Ibooks works after jailbreak I'm going to guess no.

STAY WITH 5.0

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

FWIW, I tried the iBooks fix when I was jb with redsnow and it hosed my phone. I restored and jb with sn0wbreeze which doesn't break iBooks.

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah so here's an update. I went to go install that ibooks fix, something went wrong and when it went to respring after installation it froze. I restarted the phone but it wasn't starting up anymore. Long story short i had to restore the whole damn phone and lost all my texts from that day. Thank god for icloud because i would have lost a lot more if i had to hook up my iphone to sync everytime, i used to do it only like once a month. Anyway, this was really late at night and now i'm going to jailbreak 5.0.1 with ultrasnow. It's ok with me really, i find i barely ever restart my phone, only when im messing with cydia related stuff which i only do while at home.

15. john62 macrumors newbie

best option to JB iphone4 IOS 4.3.4

Hi Guys, i'm currently working away right now and have been unable to access itunes for the last month to allow me to do an update, now it looks like I missed the boat to update to IOS 5.0 from 4.3.4,
    I return home in 3 days,, I was planning to update to IOS 5.0 on my return home to allow me to complete a JB, now I see an update to IOS 5,,, can I still upgrade and JB from this new 5.0.1 ok??
    Thanks

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

no apple stopped signing it so sorry you missed the boat. I would stay with what ever firmware you are at for now.

17. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

It doesn't really matter, unless you're using an iPad 2 or Phone 4S. If you're using anything else, just use the tethered jailbreak which works on all iOS 5 firmwares.

If you're using an iPhone 4S/iPad 2:

If you update to 5.0.1 and a jailbreak only for 5.0.0 and not 5.0.1 is released, and you really miss your jailbreak a lot, you can use your saved blobs (make sure you save them!) to revert to 4.3.4. Or just wait it out for a 5.0.1 + jailbreak, I'm sure there will be one eventually

However, you will NEVER be able to install 5.0.0 on that device, as you never fetched blobs.

Sorry you missed the boat, but iOS 5 has been out for a month now. You could have very easily upgraded and downgraded for blobs, in hopes of an iOS 5 blob system is released soon or at least sucked it up with a jailbroken-less phone for a week or so as the iOS 5 jailbreak should be arriving soon.

18. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Lowest firmware that the iPhone4S runs is 5.0. It can't be downgraded to iOS4.

19. psejcf macrumors member

The SHSH blobs concept does not work on iOS 5 and later versions for the purpose of downgrading to a previous version. Hence "saving blobs" on iOS 5+ is useless (I believe tools like redsn0w don't even support it for iOS 5+).

20. john62 macrumors newbie

yep, I understand IOS 5 has been out for a while,, but it was impossible for me to "easily" do an upgrade,, since my work location is offshore (oil platforn) which is where i've been for the last month, otherwise I would have done so,,, no itunes access permitted here on this particular oil rig due to affects on server speed,, thanks anyway,, so back to my question,, i've an iphone 4 on IOS 4.3.4 and i'm looking for the best option to proceed to allow me to JB,, thanks,

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I wrote that before for A4 devices but switched the wording and left that part out. Sorry! Obviously only 5.0.0 or higher runs on 4S ;)

Right, as I mentioned. But you can still save blobs for now, in hopes of the dev team creating a blob system for iOS 5. They have mentioned how it may be possible.

I wouldn't be all that worried. Upgrade to 5.0.1 if you want as you can always downgrade to 4.3.4 with blobs if a 5.0.1 jailbreak isn't released for a while, or skip the hassle and stay on 4.3.4 and just wait to be sure. It's really up to you.

22. brokin macrumors member

missed the 5.0 train so i jumped on 5.0.1. im using the tethered jailbreak now. This is the first time i have ever used a tethered jailbreak. honestly i never realized that i hardly ever reboot my phone. i installed semithether or what ever its called. i was able to reboot my phone and answer a phone call. for me that good enough. as long as i can reboot my phone and still use the phone part thats ok with me; when i get home just boot back into jailbreak mode and im up and running.

i havnt had to reboot my phone i just did once to test the semitether tweak which works nicely.

23. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I may give this a go next weekend assuming there will not be an untethered JB out for 5.0.1 by then. Semi-tether seems manageable since I always have a laptop nearby with Redsn0w on it.

How are you finding the 5.0.1 jailbreak with your various Cydia apps? Stable?