Anyone jailbroken actually use Folders on the iPhone ios4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jayeskreezy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I installed IOS4 today and I like some things, but other things were better on 3.1.2. I'm seeing that I still will likely install all of my previous jailbroken programs.

Folders on the iphone does some koo things, but it's not better than Categories. It's easier to delete apps which is nice, but lacks much of the customization that Categories had.

I'm finding there's a lot that sounded better in theory on ios4 then actual performance. I was wondering why my battery seemed to be less. I just found out how to check my background apps and apparently there were about 11-12 that never closed and have been running for the last 6hours. Always on background tasks= APPLE FAIL.

2. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

I just found a link/ tip for closing backgrounded apps... http://www.theiphonespot.net/2010/06/30/quitting-apps-in-ios-4/

The thing I do prefer in Folders over Categories is that you don't have to respring your device every time you edit(add/ remove apps) from a folder. I would like to "theme" mine. I use Shrink to make my icons smaller and all of the "Folders" look the same when reduced in size. "Themed" icons would make it easier to id. what apps are in each "Folder."

3. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

This hasn't been the case for some time. At least with CategoriesSB it hasn't.

And I agree, this is a bit of a fail. I only want things to remain in the background if I tell them to.

4. MrThompsonR macrumors 6502

MrThompsonR

? I did have a page of "themed" icons when I was running the most recent Categories and CategoriesSB.

My old Categories page...

[​IMG]

My current screens...

Homescreen...

[​IMG]

Second "Folders" page...

[​IMG]

5. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Incorrect. Just because it's in the tray doesn't mean it's taking up resources. Some of them were there because they were used recently. Not all (Not many to be exact) background or for that matter save state so there is no battery used to have them in the tray.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The biggest disappointment with the iOS 4 folders is that they are limited to 12 apps.

As far as which is fancier, the iOS 4 folders work fine and do all that is needed. There is no real dramatc difference other than the 12 app limit.

7. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I'd agree. Other than the 12 app limit...Folders does everything I need it to do.

I understand a lot of users out there loved Categories...to each their own...but for me I found it to be too cumbersome. The rebooting after making any changes was extremely annoying (as the other poster noted).

For me...Folders is one of the biggest new features in OS4...quick and easy.

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah and the 12 per folder...I forgot about that. I had 24 apps in my media folder. I had 200 apps and only about 3 pages of items. I will DEF miss that.

I don't know. I'm still undecided. Stand-by time is amazing with ios4. However, the initial drop from 100% to 70% happened quickly.

9. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

I hear ya! So now you have Media1 and Media2. Not a big deal.

There ultimately will be a JB & Unlock for the iPhone 54...then you go back to Categories if you like.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The 12 app limit does suck and I don't like the fact that the folder stays open after launching an app from it. But other then that I like it.

11. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

As I said before you didn't have to respring after modifying a folder. That used to be the case but hasn't been for a long
    time

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yea, there should be an option for folders to close after the app is launched.

13. xmtgx macrumors regular

Doesn't matter in a UNIX OS, they aren't using any power and if the ram is needed for something else it shuts the oldest program down. People who don't understand it, like you, are the only ones who have "issues" with it.