Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Google is no longer sending security and OS updates to my first-gen Pixel, so it's time for an upgrade. I haven't used an iPhone since the 3GS, but I do dabble in iOS occasionally as the family tech guy. Has anyone jumped from any version of the Pixel to the iPhone 11? What do you like/not like about the 11? Regrets, if any?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Google is no longer sending security and OS updates to my first-gen Pixel, so it's time for an upgrade. I haven't used an iPhone since the 3GS, but I do dabble in iOS occasionally as the family tech guy. Has anyone jumped from any version of the Pixel to the iPhone 11? What do you like/not like about the 11? Regrets, if any?

I have had the opportunity to have all versions of the Pixel and iPhone for that matter. No matter what happens, how enticing the hardware on Android is I always end up back on an iPhone. You may miss some stuff from Android but I feel that you'll like a lot more on iOS than what you will miss on Android.

This is my perspective, as I'm sure you know this topic essentially goes no where as a lot of it is subjective. At the end of the day I don't need a phone that behaves or has the hardware of a high end PC. I need it to work and work well, no gimmicks, no BS, just work.

Small sample of what I see as a glaring difference: iPhone X - 2716 mAh battery. In my usage this phone lasts all day with room to spare at night. There is no way in hell an Android phone with that size battery would last more than 3/4 day, you can watch the battery go down on an Android phone with that size battery. The optimization isn't in the same universe!

Now, that said. I have a Oneplus 6 Marvel edition because its cool, I also have an ASUS ROG 2 phone which is absolutely ridiculous but I like it and use it for a handheld gamer and finally I have a Pixel 2 XL panda because I do like to see what they (google) are up to. But for my everyday Phone it is an iPhone and looks like it will be going forward.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I have also had all three Pixels, as well as a range of Samsung Galaxy phones. I now have an iPhone 11 Pro and previously an iPhone XS. I found with Android I had to do a lot of configuring to get things working to my satisfaction. I was always tinkering, and I still found glitches which annoyed me - like something caused the media volume to reduce to zero and I had to turn it up manually. I never found out what was causing it. Android Auto is so bad compared with Apple Car Play, and, surprisingly, Apple Maps is much clearer for navigating (in the UK) than Google Maps. With iOS everything really does 'just work'. Knowing that I can have the latest OS update, for several years, as soon as it is released is icing on the cake. I also love the way restoring ends up with pretty much a clone of your previous iPhone with nearly all app settings intact.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
I think we’ll have some more incoming Pixel users to an 11 soon

03EAB63B-3409-44D4-ADBB-ADDF0152143D.jpeg

Guess Google is using leftover iPhone 6 casings. :p

Reactions: TechRunner

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
I think we’ll have some more incoming Pixel users to an 11 soon

View attachment 875671

Guess Google is using leftover iPhone 6 casings. :p
Yikes...that's pretty ugly. Glad I wasn't considering a Pixel 4!

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
I went from Pixel 2XL back to an iPhone for one reason: the Apple Watch. I've had a Samsung phone for work for quite a while, and had a Samsung Frontier S3 paired to a Note 8. watchOS just blows Tizen out of the water in every category, and I'd forgotten how smooth the Watch experience can be (had an original Apple Watch and iPhone 7+ previously). I think the only thing that I'll miss from the Samsung watch is watch face customization.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Owned all Pixels except for the current 4. I've realized that if I want to use a second phone / back up / fun phone the Pixel is perfect. For my main phone I'm back on an iPhone. The only thing I miss on the Pixel is the ability to use modified apps / streaming apps that obviously aren't available on iOS.

The dagger for me on my Pixel 3a was when I updated to Android 10 I could no longer choose the Bluetooth audio codec for my Sony LDAC headphones. It defaulted to LDAC best effort / lowest quality and no developer setting changed it. With my iPhone things just work when I connect my accessories, I don't need to do anything.

Google's attitude toward bugs / features (secure face unlock, no face ID authentication for apps are atop the list for the Pixel 4 at the moment) really ticks me off and is why I haven't gotten the Pixel 4 yet, and won't buy it unless it sees a sale of $400 off or more. It isn't worth anything higher to me. When a bug / issue arises here are the responses:

Google: classic vague comment that "issue will be addressed in the coming months."

Apple: has already released iOS 13.2.2 with 13.3 beta already out as well.

Of course Apple is far from perfect. You decide which company you'd rather give your hard earned money to.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.