Anyone kept iPad with screen tint?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chairman.Jobbie, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Chairman.Jobbie macrumors 6502

I have a 16gb wifi with a pink tint coming from the front camera side - covering 30-50% of the screen. It's subtle but definitely a tint. I'm wondering whether I should just keep it. But the perfectionist in me says "must change". I have until next Tuesday.

However, writing this post on a white screen I can see it clearly! ... I'm gonna likely change it! :D

Anyone got screen tint and kept it?

2. number84 macrumors 6502

Mine has the pinkish hue on the entire screen when in my car. Indoors, looks fine. I'm already passed my return period, but might do a warranty exchange in a few months if it's still bothering me.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I have a tint and I'm keeping it....but not willingly :D This is already a replacement (from a screen with dust) and I'm out of my 14 day window.....Apple says they don't see it. Like you....I notice it, but it's subtle. Mainly notice on white webpages and reading (two things which I do all the time :mad:)

If you are within your return window I would suggest you return it....BUT....return it for a refund and buy a new one. Why? Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, if you swap it, you don't extend your 14 days.

Sure, you might have a wait to get a new one....but I learned that once you are outside of your return window.....you lose all the power. Unless it's something obvious....Apple has the right to refuse to replace it.

If they don't have yours in stock.....use the online Apple store after 10pm and place an order for local pickup.

-Kevin

4. vjacques macrumors member

you actually do, the return window resets.

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

As long as it's a return and replacement correct? If they do a in-warranty swap, then no correct?

-Kevin

6. vjacques macrumors member

no, you don't have to do the actual return. the procedure is a swap and shows as one on the receipt.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks for the info. I guess I would want to make sure the new receipt shows the return date as being another 14 days out.

-Kevin

8. vjacques macrumors member

yep, it shows the old and the new units serials and new return window.

9. lkw15 macrumors newbie

I have the tint issue (in the form of a light pink hue from the upper right hand corner of the screen), but I'm just going to keep it. It's not big enough for me to worry about it - and frankly I'd rather have that than some of the other issues that people are experiencing (battery, dust, dead pixels, wi-fi, etc).

10. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

My 2cents, but yellowing and blotchy screens aside, I do not think the "pinkish hue outdoors" is a sign of a defective screen. Particularly with white iPads, the screen will appear a different color dependent on the color of the light reflecting off the bezel. This shifting bezel color can make a profound impact in what your eyes think is white.

Even with black iPads, however, ambient light plays a huge role in the appearance of a screen. That is why most color calibration devices also have an ambient light sensor- to adjust for this.

I am one of the most OCD apple purchasers around, and thankfully I have a beautiful screen (but I must admit, it does look slightly pink in direct light). However in all other comparisons, it is one of the whitest and certainly most accurate display I have ever owned.

11. number84 macrumors 6502

Interesting comment regarding the white iPads. I'll try to cover mine up with black paper and see if the pink hue is gone outdoors.

12. seadragon Contributor

I had a couple of black ones with the pink tint.

13. rickyislazy macrumors newbie

My first one was darker(yellow) on the left 1/3 in portrait, the replacement has an even screen but it is noticeably more pink.

Holding onto the pink one until the better batch arrives.

14. ewo1992 macrumors regular

ewo1992

15. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Whether you keep it or change it is a choice only you can make. What it came down to for me is asking myself "once I've passed the 14-day return period is this screen bad enough that I'm going to regret not exchanging it?"

In my case I gave it a week to see whether the screen improved or my eyes adjusted to the point at which the discoloration was acceptable to me. After a week I decided it was still bugging me enough to take it back to the store - putting it side by side with a display model confirmed that the screen was definitely not right. I had it exchanged and replaced with a model that is much better - not 100% perfect but more than acceptable.

16. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Well my "new" iPad (the 2nd replacement) had the uneven colours from left to right on the screen, easily visible when the keyboard is split, as well as a very pinkish hue. Comparing it to my iPhone 4S, it was extremely poor. Infact comparing it to any other device and it was poor as well.

The scuff marks and scratches at the back, as well as the poor quality headphone jack (sticking out, shards of aluminium sticking out as well), and the dents to the bezel on the front, it really did warrant a return.

After angrily calling Apple, they actually sent out a replacement right away, and booked a collection for my current iPad. I did have a little rant about their whole "within spec" fictional policy, so maybe that swayed them to avoid forcing me to send it in for "repair", only to be told its fine.

17. tanboom macrumors member

Some Pics, Please!

Could you please post some pics, I want to compare with mine. Thanks a lot!

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

You know what....just return it. Its clear you dont like it.

Why the need for this thread?

19. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

+1 for u sir. My advice exactly

20. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

If the screen was uneven in colour, I definitely would not keep it. If it just had an even colour cast across the whole screen, I might. I had a 3GS which was slightly yellow in colour for a year and it didn't bother me much after the first day or two.

21. Chairman.Jobbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Why the need for any thread?
    Why the need to reply to my thread asking why the need for this thread?
    Why do people talk?
    Why do people discuss things?
    Why are we not all mute?
    Why do we have hands?

I felt like asking the question. I was curious.
    I am in two minds on whether to change it so i put the question out.
    I might change it.... I might keep it...

No big deal. No one died. I used some time & electricity. Im sure you've done the same.
    :p