Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
So I have recently been carrying my photo (or video) gear in a backpack. My trusty Tamrac Evolution 8 has been a great workhorse, but is not quite up to the challenge now.

Said pack must have room for a 15" laptop, DSLR, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 (well 80-200 for now), 50 1.8, 3 speed lights, some miscellaneous cables, batteries, and chargers. Those two big lenses are the issue at the moment. Getting them both into the current pack is not working so well. I could stand to give up the 3 way access of the evolution.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So I have recently been carrying my photo (or video) gear in a backpack. My trusty Tamrac Evolution 8 has been a great workhorse, but is not quite up to the challenge now.

Said pack must have room for a 15" laptop, DSLR, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 (well 80-200 for now), 50 1.8, 3 speed lights, some miscellaneous cables, batteries, and chargers. Those two big lenses are the issue at the moment. Getting them both into the current pack is not working so well. I could stand to give up the 3 way access of the evolution.

I use a Lowepro flip side 400. Works great for me.

However you may find their bag finder page useful. You just check the gear and style you wish to carry and it shows you the options.
http://www.lowepro.com/bagfinder

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I've got one of the Mountainsmith camera-specific backpacks. Love it. Their stuff is suitable for some tough outdoors work, as they are a company that makes a lot of mountaineering gear. So it might be overkill for some. Sierra Trading Post might have some of their stuff right now, heavily discounted.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I have the original Gura Gear bag and it is amazing. Fits in the overhead and has concealed straps. The only thing it was missing is the laptop storage. It holds so much gear that I was stopped by customs in Guatemala because I had too much camera gear. :eek:

It looks like their new bags have evolved to be even better. This one has a 15" laptop sleeve:

http://www.guragear.com/chobe-19-24l/

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio

Stay in the Tamrac family, as they have several backpacks that fit your needs.:)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

5 replies, 5 different brands. Not sure we've helped much!

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
Everyone has their favorites and unique needs, but none of those will be yours.

The easy answer is to go to REI, along with the equipment you plan to haul, and figure out the best one for you.

Even if you don't buy from them, I don't have any other stores in my area as welcoming and as flexible when dealing with back packs.

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
MindShift Gear

I second the Think Tank Photo recommendation. While their backpacks are designed for urban use, the company has a separate division, MindShift Gear, for outdoor photo pursuits.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I have the original Gura Gear bag and it is amazing. Fits in the overhead and has concealed straps. The only thing it was missing is the laptop storage. It holds so much gear that I was stopped by customs in Guatemala because I had too much camera gear. :eek:

It looks like their new bags have evolved to be even better. This one has a 15" laptop sleeve:

http://www.guragear.com/chobe-19-24l/

I don't have this bag but I do like the Gura Gear line of products. If anyone is interested, the bag Laird Knox mentioned is on sale at B&H right now. Regular price is $299...on for $149. Chobe at B&H

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Backpack

I went with the Tenba Shootout 32L and have been happy with it for the past year. It is easily configurable to hold your kit and looks good. The second image is how I've arranged mine.

Attachments

• 1043807.jpg
    1043807.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_384758.jpg
    IMG_384758.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_3572.JPG
    IMG_3572.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 196

jypfoto

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
I second the Think Tank Photo recommendation. While their backpacks are designed for urban use, the company has a separate division, MindShift Gear, for outdoor photo pursuits.

My current bag of use is the Mindshift Rotation 180 Panorama. Great bag for my uses (D810, 24-120, 50/85 orimes), but it won't fit the gear the OP is looking for.

Streetwalker Pro HD will most likely fit what you're looking for. But no matter how comfortable the bag is, you're looking at carrying excessive of 10+ lbs on you, so it's going to feel weighty after a while. Especially carrying a 15" laptop.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I don't have this bag but I do like the Gura Gear line of products. If anyone is interested, the bag Laird Knox mentioned is on sale at B&H right now. Regular price is $299...on for $149. Chobe at B&H

Oh rats, that one is a shoulder bag. I'm not familiar with their current line but I absolutely love the original bag.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
I think I have found my problem. The two features I am really looking for do not seem to be out there:
Make my gear weigh less.
Make my gear take up less space.

Does anyone recall who made the case/roller with integrated light mount in the handle? I know I saw that somewhere, and it struck me as a "might be convenient in a pinch if the maker doesn't think they are gold plated."

alembic

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
I'm not sure if you're flying a lot with your gear, but for my overseas trips I was using the Think Tank Photo Airport International. It will swallow your gear list, and being a roller, of course, will be much easier to schlep everything compared to a backpack.

But airlines are becoming more strict about CARRY-ON weight. And I've been prevented from boarding a flight for having too much gear in that roller. So I switched to the Airport Essentials (from the same firm). I take less gear with me but it's smaller size and the fact that I'm wearing it like a day pack draws less attention when I'm checking in for a flight. It's also relatively comfortable to carry, easily fits under plane seats, and detailed nicely with solid build quality (although the product description states that it will only fit slim 15" laptops). I'm very happy with it.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
I wanted a bag that would hold the Nikon 200-500 lens, plus others. That lens is huge, so a lot of bags were ruled out as they couldn't take a lens that big.

In the end I went for this....

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/products/bags/backpack/nbsp-717f75

It normally holds the DSLR with 70-200 attached, then the big 200-500, plus three other lenses. There are two pockets for a laptop and iPad, but I've only ever used it with iPad in. Then there are a few cables and the battery charger. Due to the decent straps and cushioned back, I can have that on my back for 2 hours whilst shooting a rugby match.

There are three ways to access the various parts of the interior, or you can unzip the whole back and get access to everything.

I love it. It meets my needs exactly, is very comfortable and allows me to easily swap lenses on the go without exposing all the entire bag contents to the joys of the British winter.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wanted a bag that would hold the Nikon 200-500 lens, plus others. That lens is huge, so a lot of bags were ruled out as they couldn't take a lens that big.

In the end I went for this....

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/products/bags/backpack/nbsp-717f75

It normally holds the DSLR with 70-200 attached, then the big 200-500, plus three other lenses. There are two pockets for a laptop and iPad, but I've only ever used it with iPad in. Then there are a few cables and the battery charger. Due to the decent straps and cushioned back, I can have that on my back for 2 hours whilst shooting a rugby match.

There are three ways to access the various parts of the interior, or you can unzip the whole back and get access to everything.

I love it. It meets my needs exactly, is very comfortable and allows me to easily swap lenses on the go without exposing all the entire bag contents to the joys of the British winter.
Looks nice but the three other lenses would have to be pretty small. I couldn't get my Nikon trinity in there with my 200-500 and 2 bodies. I have the same issue with my Lowpro. I can get the 200-500 attached in there with one other body and my 24-70mm.

Moakesy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
UK
Looks nice but the three other lenses would have to be pretty small. I couldn't get my Nikon trinity in there with my 200-500 and 2 bodies. I have the same issue with my Lowpro. I can get the 200-500 attached in there with one other body and my 24-70mm.

Holds the following at the moment...

200-500mm
70-200mm f/2.8
24-120 f/4
105mm macro
50mm 1.8
D750 with grip (normally with the 2.8)
Charger for battery

Fits like this....

Having another body attached would require some inventiveness I reckon...but might be possible.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Holds the following at the moment...

200-500mm
70-200mm f/2.8
24-120 f/4
105mm macro
50mm 1.8
D750 with grip (normally with the 2.8)
Charger for battery

Fits like this....

Having another body attached would require some inventiveness I reckon...but might be possible.
That's not bad tbh. My problem is my 14-24 mm is very wide. Takes up a lot more room than say a 50mm.
But the 70-200 spends a lot of time at home. Too much weight if I lug it all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.