Anyone know a good brand of flooring?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Brettka7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Brettka7 macrumors regular

We're having new flooring put in our house from water damage. Leaning toward tile the most right now, wood is a second option. I need something that will last a long time and stay looking good. What would be a good brand to look at? Any Home Depot brands good?

2. prostuff1, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

If you really want to learn about tile I highly suggest this forum.

The forum is dedicated to tile and flooring in general. If you are not going to be installing it yourself I highly suggest asking on that site about installers in your area!

To expand on the above a little more:
    You are going to have to give us an idea of the look you are going for. There are SO MANY different kinds of tile, layouts, sizes, etc, etc, etc. Do you want it to look modern, rustic, like a wood floor, large format, small format, etc? What grout width are you looking for (wide or narrow)? Depending on the answer to the last question you will have some tiles that can not be used. Generally speaking the more expensive the tile is the less variation in size, thickness, warpage, etc there is.

There are some good tiles to be had from the Home Depots and Lowes type store, and then there are some tiles from those stores that should be avioded.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

If he wants something that is going to last and look nice with not to much work then i suggest NOT going with a marble.

A porcelain/ceramic tile would be a better choice for longevity.

4. LorenK macrumors 6502

Most people just replace what they had with the same thing. Wood is generally the choice for living areas, while tile is the choice for wet areas such as kitchens and baths. You could also go with tile and stone in high traffic areas. As you should know, brands can be meaningless, Pergo is one of the most well know floor covering, but ask anyone who knows flooring and they say that it's okay if you don't mind replacing it in high traffic areas on occasion. The truth is everything falls apart eventually, so get what appeals to you.

When it's wood, I like solid, it is two to three times more expensive tha laminates, but it can be refinished. Engineered is actually better than solid in certain respects, but costs more and can only be refinished once or twice.

As for tile, know that glazes make it slippery in wet areas and if it chips the clay body will show through. I like porceleins for that reason, I think that they're a bit harder, but they are also the same color all the way through.

I'm not a fan of natural stone because it needs to be sealed annually, but the colors are much more dramatic than what you can get from wood.\

As to where to go, Lumber Liquidators are all over the place and they actually have good prices on quality flooring, better than what the big boxes have. I haven't bought from LL, and I am always wary of a good deal, but if the price can't be beat and you're having a professional install it, that would save money.

It's actually not too hard to install flooring yourself and you can save a bit of money by renting the necessary equipment, it just takes time and you need to be precise. If you don't have patience, stay far away, it will only give you heartache and a bad floor.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you want long lasting your best bet is hard wood, that can be resurfaced every 10 years.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I went a little non-traditional and went with hardwood floors for my kitchen. I love them because they are naturally more quiet--especially when something drops.

I used Lumber Liquidators and I the brand name was Bellawood and it was pre-finished.

The only caveat is that the pre-finished wood is a bit too perfect and some people think its laminate -- laminate!!! rrrrrr.

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'm looking at a floor for the kitchen. I'm thinking about ceramic tile, but it could get expensive with the wet bed prep, etc. I did see a really nice vinyl hybrid called "Alterna", which is my second choice. It costs about $5 a foot. The big box stores don't have it.

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/products/luxury-vinyl

8. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Travertine tile. Its what we have in our house. I dont know the name of the hardwood.

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

tile floor? You can't go wrong with Armstrong. ( I was going to add "underfoot" but that ruins the rhyme. ) [No, I don't work for Armstrong.]

10. mirz2000 macrumors regular

It depends... Where is the flooring going? Basement, kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom? What type of climate do you live in (hot/cold, humid/dry?) Will you be removing and installing yourself? Is your house old, and if so, do you know that it is level? If new, this is less of an issue.

11. carlaise macrumors newbie

Would you go for a company which only offers wood installation alone? Of course, not! For sure, you want something else which can give you more than what you exactly need and Liberty Hardwood Floors is the one you should be looking for. This company offers a full range of services for your hardwood flooring needs and hardwood floor new york. So, for a one-stop shop for quality hardwood products and services, Liberty Hardwood Floors is the best place to go.