Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Need some advice on some good-not too expensive- heavy metal tipped darts.

Any advice on some good darts?

jarenado

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Florida
I have a set from Sports Authority. They are pirrahna's they heavy, I forget how many grams, they come with rotating flights so darts dont deflect off of each other, and they come with an extra set of flights, and a case. I want to say they were around 30 dollars.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I'll ask one of the math teachers at my school. Apparently he is some dart throwing champion.

I am sure you could look at the Sports Authority or Dick's, but stores that sell pool tables and such will definitely have them. I am not sure where you live but if you live in New England I would guess NAMCO has them.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
You've got to get out there and find a weight and style that works for you. I don't like knurled darts, I think they leave your hand poorly since they dig into your flesh.

I throw 22 gram Voks Helix darts. They're pretty nice, though I sort of wish I had gone for 24 gram or there abouts.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
You've got to get out there and find a weight and style that works for you. I don't like knurled darts, I think they leave your hand poorly since they dig into your flesh.

I throw 22 gram Voks Helix darts. They're pretty nice, though I sort of wish I had gone for 24 gram or there abouts.

True, you have to try the darts out for yourself. everyone will have a different sweetspot or setup. If your just getting a set of house darts then just go to your local sports shop and grab a cheap pair. $20-$40

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007

I have an older pair that I really like the weight of but I dont know what the weight is. They are pretty heavy but have no way of weighing them.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Stick with a dense metal. Those darts are thinner and will block less when they are stuck in the board. The cheap darts are brass, and can be like 3/8" in diameter. That kind of size can easily block the triple zone, or the double bull; and are very difficult to fit all three in either of those zones as well. The more expensive darts tend to be 1/4" or less in diameter. You can stick all three in the double bull, or a triple zone - I won't say easily, but with practice you can do it.

I had a set of 28gm darts that I really liked, but some drunk guy busted the tip off one of them. Now I'm using a 24gm set that I like decently, but I think I'd go heavier again next time. Those 28gm darts would rarely ever fail to stick.

But there's no substitute for being able to go test some different styles out. And even once you buy the darts, you have to experiment with different lengths of shaft and types and sizes of flights. It's a long process.

You'll also want a good board. Get one with the diamond wire rather than the round wire. Less rebounds. And if you have the money, get a set of darts with the shock-absorbent tips. With those and a diamond wire board, you'll almost never have to watch your darts bounce off the inner bull ring.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Stick with a dense metal. Those darts are thinner and will block less when they are stuck in the board. The cheap darts are brass, and can be like 3/8" in diameter. That kind of size can easily block the triple zone, or the double bull; and are very difficult to fit all three in either of those zones as well. The more expensive darts tend to be 1/4" or less in diameter. You can stick all three in the double bull, or a triple zone - I won't say easily, but with practice you can do it.

I had a set of 28gm darts that I really liked, but some drunk guy busted the tip off one of them. Now I'm using a 24gm set that I like decently, but I think I'd go heavier again next time. Those 28gm darts would rarely ever fail to stick.

But there's no substitute for being able to go test some different styles out. And even once you buy the darts, you have to experiment with different lengths of shaft and types and sizes of flights. It's a long process.

You'll also want a good board. Get one with the diamond wire rather than the round wire. Less rebounds. And if you have the money, get a set of darts with the shock-absorbent tips. With those and a diamond wire board, you'll almost never have to watch your darts bounce off the inner bull ring.

Thanks for all the tips. Can you suggest anywhere that I could buy them online? I can't wait to get good darts that are my own so I can practice with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.