Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I want to test some iOS malware but can't find anything good. The iKee worm is the only thing I've seen that does anything more malicious than stealing contact info (and I can't find source). Does anyone know good iOS malware? If you have an ipa that is even better so I can put it on a test phone and do some reverse engineering.
I know this doesn't really have to do with jailbreaking, but I wasn't sure where else to post it.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
This isn't android :D

I haven't come across any but I'm just curious why you want to know and how do you test it? :) Interesting :) Are you making malware that can destroy all iPhones :p

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Are you making malware that can destroy all iPhones :p

Hahah, no I am not. I am a security researcher -- my intentions are purely academic (yes, I know that is what Tom Riddle said to Horace Slughorn before making a bunch of horcruxes, but I mean it).

----------

You'll probably get some better answers here

Is there a way to change threads? I was not sure where the best place would be.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK
Hahah, no I am not. I am a security researcher -- my intentions are purely academic (yes, I know that is what Tom Riddle said to Horace Slughorn before making a bunch of horcruxes, but I mean it).

OMG HP REFERENCE :D

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
"Don't worry, I gave you an example of someone lying for a malicious reason, but I promise I'm not doing it!"

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
If you have to ask here then you are no security researcher nor an iOS hacker like you have in your sig...

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
If you have to ask here then you are no security researcher nor an iOS hacker like you have in your sig...

Just because I know how to hack iOS apps doesn't mean I know about every piece malware which have ever made it out into the wild (I guess I'm more of a hacker than a researcher). Do you have anything intelligent to contribute to the conversation? I would love to be awed by your extensive knowledge of iOS malware.

----------

Cha-ching !
Spot on as usual.

+1 for you :D

Lol:D
+100000

You guys can also feel free to say something intelligent, rather than just circlejerking and patting each other on the back.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Just because I know how to hack iOS apps doesn't mean I know about every piece malware which have ever made it out into the wild (I guess I'm more of a hacker than a researcher). Do you have anything intelligent to contribute to the conversation? I would love to be awed by your extensive knowledge of iOS malware.

Can you tell what you consider 'hacking' an iOS app? I hope is not just breaking the in-app purchasing lol

Don't worry on proving yourself to me, what you wrote in your OP told me all I needed to know.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I simply expressed my concurrence on a comment by a trusted member.

No need level to insults.

I simply expressed my opinion that your comment added nothing to the discussion. You were so quick to jump on the bandwagon calling me a charlatan, yet you still haven't contributed anything useful.

----------

Can you tell what you consider 'hacking' an iOS app? I hope is not just breaking the in-app purchasing lol.

No, I absolutely don't. And clients pay me a lot of money to do much more than that. Unless you can miraculously prove otherwise, I will continue to assume I know more than you on the subject.

Last edited:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
No, I absolutely don't. And clients pay me a lot of money to do much more than that. Unless you can miraculously prove otherwise, I will continue to assume I know more than you on the subject.
I didn't know kids pay a lot of money for breaking the in-app purchases...
Anyways, like I said you don't need to tell me anything more.

CGagnon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
It's funny because I posted almost the exact same thing on other sites and it sparked intelligent conversations and useful dialog everywhere else. Really says a lot about the community on this forum... :rolleyes:

Don't worry guys, I got what I was looking for elsewhere.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

----------

You guys can also feel free to say something intelligent, rather than just circlejerking and patting each other on the back.

Lol:) Don't get all upset, you should be able to take a joke here and there.
If you are what you say you are then you wouldn't post what you did and I'm sure you'd be able to use google to research such ios threats.
There haven't been much malware or worms when it comes to iOS security in the past 6-7 years. There has been a few instances that were patched quick years ago. Mostly security exploits are used to jb devices with bootrom and userland hacks to accomplish untethered jb on all iDevices on a particular firmware version.
But if you want go into a little more detail on what you're looking to work on.
Just malware or also commercial spyware and such available to jb devices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.